ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

desktop shortcut to execute a keyboard shortcut

(1/2) > >>

Steven Avery:
As I understand, it is often suggested to use a keyboard shortcut to execute an icon or desktop shortcut, a .lnk.
As here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-shortcut-or-hotkey-to-turn-the-desktop-icons-on-or-off/

(I'm a mouse guy. I don't do much with keyboard shortcuts, although I could hit an icon to pop up a group of shortcuts.)

What happens if you want the opposite. You want a desktop icon to execute a global hot-key (one that was defined in an application like Pnote, to show a specific group of notes.)

Is that done with Autohotkey? Or some other way? 

Let me know if I am missing something trivial.

Thanks!

Steven

MilesAhead:
As I understand, it is often suggested to use a keyboard shortcut to execute an icon or desktop shortcut, a .lnk.
As here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-shortcut-or-hotkey-to-turn-the-desktop-icons-on-or-off/

(I'm a mouse guy. I don't do much with keyboard shortcuts, although I could hit an icon to pop up a group of shortcuts.)

What happens if you want the opposite. You want a desktop icon to execute a global hot-key (one that was defined in an application like Pnote, to show a specific group of notes.)

Is that done with Autohotkey? Or some other way? 

Let me know if I am missing something trivial.

Thanks!

Steven
-Steven Avery (December 04, 2016, 11:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes you could use AHK.  If you do not want to show any tell tale when the program runs use the #NoTrayIcon directive.  It should be trivial.  As example this script sends Winkey e to bring up Explorer File Manager

--- Code: Autohotkey ---#NoEnv#NoTrayIconSendmode,Input; if hotkey detection program not running just quit;; change hotkeyprogram.exe to the name of the hotkey program; you want to fireIf (! WinExist("ahk_exe hotkeyprogam.exe"))  ExitAppSend #e
But you could use another keyboard macro program as alternative.  There are many freewares out there.  If you run other AHK scripts anyway though, AHK would be a natural for Windows.

Edit:  Added an optional check to only fire the macro if the hotkey detecting program is running. Change it to look for the program you want to fire or comment out if you do not need it.

Ath:
This is exactly to how my WinSendKeys works, though it doesn't have a very simple way to create shortcuts for you, it has all the features you (could possibly) want.
It's just that I wrote it in AutoIt3 instead of AHK :D

Steven Avery:
Thanks guys. I am going to use this for the PNote need. Sort of virtual note desktops by group (when the desk is cleared, only icons and little stuff up, actually if I put the notes "on Top" I  could even ignore that.)  Maybe 5-10 nicely colored notes filling up the desktop in a group, maxing the real estate as desired.  Thus I might have a "Today" desk, a "e-commerce work" desk and a "Bible issues" desk and more.  Rather than right click and find Show-hide the specific groups I can lay out the notes using the clear space from max-max (still works in Windows 10) cleared section on the right.

This is so neat I may have to do a pictorial or a video.  (In fact, one of my earlier PNote pics, probably from Donationcoder, ended up in a review or blurb.)

Steven

tomos:
This is so neat I may have to do a pictorial or a video.-Steven Avery (December 05, 2016, 10:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

that would be great :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version