ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Image Manager Shootout

keywords and image management thoughts

<< < (4/5) > >>

JavaJones:
Carol, I wouldn't be surprised if the Mac version of Lightroom actually *is* zippy. I've found Apple's ports of their Mac programs to Windows to always be a bit short of their Mac counterparts. This explains why Mac users love Quicktime so much when on the PC it's a slow, bloated piece of carp. ;)

- Oshyan

pao:
I've found Apple's ports of their Mac programs to Windows to always be a bit short of their Mac counterparts.
-JavaJones (July 21, 2006, 12:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

To be clear, Lightroom is an Adobe, not Apple, product.  However, Adobe did originally develop the program on Mac, clearly as a response to Apple's Aperture product, with Windows development starting only recently.  That said, I expect future Lightroom for Windows betas will be quicker as Adobe gets the Windows version more up to speed with the Mac version.

JavaJones:
Ah right, sorry about that. But yes, it's a product apparently originally devved on the Mac, so no surprise if it's slower on Windows. Hopefully that will improve. I think Photoshop, etc. are now fairly comparable Mac to PC, so that's good. It didn't use to be that way.

- Oshyan

Carol Haynes:
I don't think the Adobe flagship apps are particularly slower on PCs these days. Personally I think Windows LightRoom will be something special - having just brought in th ePixmantec crew to help produce it I think its RAW handling will be excellent. I am also sure the final product will be heavily optimized too - at the moment it is even slow browsing folders-  which is not typical of Adobe software.

JavaJones:
I didn't mean to imply Adobe software is slower on PC's *now*, it just was historically. Nowadays I think it's fairly even. But for *any* app developer the first dev platform is usually the better one, at least for a while. So this being apparently first devved on a Mac (or at least first released on one, thus more concentrated on is my thinking), I am guessing it's faster on the Mac side. We really need more Mac people on here to test stuff like this. :D

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version