ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Image Manager Shootout

keywords and image management thoughts

<< < (2/5) > >>

nudone:
ah, i see what you mean now, elpresi. automatically add the keywords - umm, no, i doubt acdsee can do that - i'll have a quick look but i can't remember seeing those kind of options.

it would be a useful feature to have - especially when considering your major point about moving to other managers.

i guess programs like acdsee don't have this feature as it's a way of locking you in to their software (or is it just an innocent oversight).

JavaJones:
Am I alone in feeling like most of this is stuff that should be provided at the OS level? What frustrates me about using some application to embed this info is that unless all other apps are aware of it, it is really only useful to that one app. Yes IPTC, etc. are a standard now, and many programs do support it, but each has different methods for doing so. If I want to use one app to organize, one to edit, and one to view (customized slide shows), if they do not all interpret keywords, etc. the same then what good is the standard really? Very frustrating. This is the kind of thing I was hoping for with Vista. Instead most of what we get is transparent window borders. ;)

Portfolio sounds pretty awesome. A pity it's so damn expensive! I'm wondering how they can really justify such expense. I mean ok yes it could be vital to many people's workflow, but that is really a price for a professional. Actually what's odd is it is a price that could be a "steal" for a real pro, making good money off their assets and needing real professional management. On the other hand for a hobbyist it is a very high price. So it is sort of in that middle area, neither cheap enough for the hobbyist nor really as expensive as the functionality would justify for a real pro. It would be nice to see a cut down version or something (not too cut down) for the amateur.

- Oshyan

nudone:
do any of the 'desktop search' programs read/store exif/iptc/etc/etc?

app103:
Extensis Portfolio isn't a desktop search program. It's a cataloging program.

But if you catalog all your personal files, it might be able to be used as one.

elpresi:
do any of the 'desktop search' programs read/store exif/iptc/etc/etc?
-nudone (July 13, 2006, 03:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

something like this? :
http://www.pixvue.com/product/search.html
http://www.pixvue.com/product/index.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version