ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why Does Everything Have To Be Video?

<< < (3/4) > >>

app103:
I remember an incident with my printer, and an error that kept telling me to open the paper tray...the same paper tray that I thought was already open. Text based instructions were failing me, photos were not properly illustrating how to fix the issue, and I was pretty well convinced there was something wrong with my printer.

Then I came across this video:

Yup, that door that didn't look like a paper tray door, was actually the paper tray door.  :-[

tomos:
I think like everything, they have their place - they work someplaces, like app's example above.

Where it gets me is when you're trying to find out about a software, and *all* they offer on the home page is a video after a brainless mini bulleted list. Offering a video is fine, but no reasonably detailed list of features I find terrible. That's usually where I leave the website. I'll come back if someone highly recommends it, or I know I need it.
But I resent watching every minute of that pesky video -- nah :p in fairness watching the video is can be informative, it's just you're not able to pace how fast you take in the info, quickly search for that feature you need.

Once I know I want the software, then videos are really helpful for figuring out the gui etc.

PS thanks mouser for the new thread :up:

KynloStephen66515:
I want to throw my 2c into the pot here

So here is a video that sums up what I think:

;)

tomos:
^ hah :P

wanted to say TL,DW,
but I managed it

wraith808:
That's exactly what I meant above.  You can monetize video a lot easier, with better conversions than text.  I prefer text- I read books, but now that my company has done away with our safarionline subscription in favor of pluralsight subscriptions, I find myself delving into subjects a lot less.  With books, if you already know part of the material, it's a lot easier to skip it, and if you want to reference the subject matter later, it's easier to find in text.  Just my feelings on the subject.  And I didn't need a video to convey it :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version