ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

blanking file data while keeping folder-file structure

<< < (4/5) > >>

Steven Avery:
For now I did the zip thing with 7-Zip .. got it under 15 gigabytes. The count of files looked like it did not take a 100 or so from 20,000, but I did not really check that.

Even though Teamviewer has all sorts of concerns about speed and bandwidth in the free account, so far it has done almost 3 gb, at about a gigabtye an hour. (Just taking the simplest method since Teamviewer was active.)

Steven

Steven Avery:
It worked perfectly for most of the day.  Then the power was shut off, in order to get the TV up (unrelated issue).   Oops. Aborted. Teamviewer's resume is not working in #11.

So may do it again.

Here is my question.  If I am looking to use Syncovery, or Robocopy or something.  With one 15 Gigabyte file.

Which software is friendliest working with two PCs (Teamviewer connected) to make the connection. Do you do a WebDav thing.  Which one is intuitive?

Steven

Steven Avery:
Let me try to understand some basics. 
We will discuss Syncovery which is helpful with its Wizard Mode and Advanced Mode settings for creating backup Profiles. 

(Would it be simpler just to set up a free FTP server on one puter and client on the other? Not sure.)

In the Wizard Mode, Syncovery seems to indicate that you have a few methods that could work when dealing with your own remote computers.

Network Path - example given : \\mylaptop\C\Users\pureb\Documents
Browse - File Path (here I presume you have made a WebDav connection for this to apply, if you are working with a remote puter)
Globe --> Internet Protocol Settings --> FTP, SSH, WebDav, AmazonS3, HTTP, also many servers. Note that Amazon S3 and somes others are modest cost for my 15 Gb File if I want to put them in the middle, and if either they take such a large file, or I go into splitting.

(Maybe this WebDav only needs the external IP number and the User-Password? Hmm.. that is pretty loosey-goosey.)

There is also a "Device" that brings up "MTP Device Settings" which seems to be local devices, maybe relates to some media backup.
Note: I remember that Syncovery was pretty smart when I made a WebDav connection to DriveHQ and suggested making their own connection.

So, what specifically do you do? Can Syncovery or CarotDev or something walk me through having the WebDav path connection?  Clearly, that has a big advantage in that your Total Commander or other File Manager is then in play?

If you want to do the FTP with Syncovery, does that mean that you set up a free server and then access it with Syncovery?

Is there a VPN method that creates a Network Path that would be usable by Syncovery?

Maybe a little discussion, or finding a good youtube, can hash out how this is really done without too much complexity.  e.g. When I opened CarotDev, I saw all sorts of blank entry fields, presuming more familiarity than I have.

I realize that I am asking a lot here.  It just seems that there is a gap between the presumed solutions and the place where the not-real-PC-tech people begin.

FYI - I will also mention offhand that Binfer looks comfortable for inexpensive transfer of large files, with a funny email interface and modest cost. I did a couple of small xfers with it, but for clear communication I ended up opening two free accounts, with file limits. It is unclear then if both would need to be paid accounts. Also the software seems to be somewhat dormant the last five years. However, it might do a 15GB direct file transfer quickly for $5 or $10 as part of a 40Gb package. 

A whole nother possibility involves simply using a server I have, as of today, available for WordPress and such. Presumably that would be an easy FTP in triangle mode. Why do I have a server for that? Well, a biz e-commerce operation had three, with lots of redundancy, and very inexpensive. So we cleared two out and I inherited one :) .

Steven

Steven Avery:
Note: the above stuff might also be good for the Sync forum

Syncovery
https://www.backupcreations.com/forum/windows-support-no-bug-reports-f8.html

And yes, I might be missing some obvious explanations and documentations.

Shades:
Speed of FTP transfers degrades quickly when transferring small sized files. In that case you better archive everything in one big lump of data and start the transfer to your e-biz server. Are you sure this server has enough storage space for this? You might get into trouble if this is a "shared" server setup in your e-biz solution.

If you have no immediate commercial plans for this e-biz thing, it might be possible to create your own personal cloud solution on it, such as OwnCloud. That way you won't get charged for (more) money and could be an interesting learning endeavor for yourself. However, if you have no time and/or inclination to get into such things, there are more ways to "skin this cat" (a link to an overview of free tools available to transfer files through your own cloud).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version