ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How to know which vehicle I am driving?

<< < (2/2)

skwire:
sorry but the driver will not remember to put the phone on the surface
that's why I need a wireless way, that will detect that the specific pda is inside the car, is there a way?
thanks! -kalos (December 09, 2016, 02:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

kalos, I don't think you realise just how custom and complex your request is.  This isn't a "download an app from Google Play and all my problems are solved" sort of thing.

Based on your past history of requests, I'm going to go out on a limb and say, no, there probably isn't a cheap, consumer-level off-the-shelf solution for what you want to do.  On the other hand, I'm going to guess that, yes, there probably is an enterprise-grade solution out there but it almost certainly isn't going to be cheap or simple.

4wd:
Put a WiFi hotspot in each vehicle, each with a different SSID.

The PDA is only required to detect, not connect with it, then report the SSID it found.

Use the Onion Omega2 (US$5 + P&P), the C.H.I.P. (US$9 + P&P), RasPi 0 + WiFi dongle (<US$10), or there's probably others with WiFi.

Same idea as NFC but much greater range and probably cheaper.

You'd probably need to write a small program for the PDA.

This isn't a "download an app from Google Play and all my problems are solved" sort of thing.-skwire (December 09, 2016, 04:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Considering that no information has been given regarding what the PDA/phone/thing is, (as usual), then it is indeed highly unlikely the solution would be this easy  :P

kalos:
@4wd smart!

But why it cannot be simple and cheap as a bluetooth dongle that will sit on the car and when the pda or even a small dongle in the keychain of the car's key pairs with it, a signal will be generated in the pda?

Bluetooth has 1m range, in contrast with wifi that has several meters range (and the cars must be quite close together at the depot)!

4wd:
But why it cannot be simple and cheap as a bluetooth dongle that will sit on the car and when the pda or even a small dongle in the keychain of the car's key pairs with it, a signal will be generated in the pda?-kalos (December 11, 2016, 05:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Try it, I've found that Bluetooth may or may not connect and that half the time I have to tell it to specifically connect with a device - no good if you want it to do it automatically.

Bluetooth has 1m range, in contrast with wifi that has several meters range (and the cars must be quite close together at the depot)!
--- End quote ---

Wait until the vehicle has moved, one assumes there won't be two people driving it, or detect at intervals, after 5-10 detections of the same SSID over a period of an hour or two I think it'd be safe to say if your guys are still standing around in a yard full of cars then you need new drivers.

Plus you may find that range is considerably reduced when the device is sitting under the seat/dashboard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version