ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 - Collection of Hacks, Tweaks, Improvements

<< < (2/9) > >>

IainB:
to go to http://www.getblackbird.net/download/ (rather than to major Geek) to get the
-Curt (November 09, 2016, 03:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks @Curt. I've added that as a note to the Blackbird item.

4wd:
A slightly easier way to set Public or Private network, just run the appropriate shortcut and it'll set the current connection to Public or Private.

From here.

IainB:
A slightly easier way to set Public or Private network, just run the appropriate shortcut and it'll set the current connection to Public or Private.

From here.
-4wd (November 09, 2016, 07:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
Into the Index it goes...

IainB:
Just remembered to add this into the Index: (a potentially very useful hack)
(Fixes long filename/file name or long path problem.)
@Shades: The article How To Enable Paths Longer Than 260 Characters In Windows 10 mentions that Win10 Home won't permit access to the GPE (Group Policy Editor), but it does allow access to Regedit (the Registry Editor).
I presume it would be correct, but out of interest I shall try to remember to check it out next time I am working on a Win10 Home PC (like you, I am not usually using Win10 Home - I use Win10 PRO).
-IainB (September 13, 2016, 09:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

IainB:
2017-01-12 0558hrs - Just added to the list: A handy 3-in-1 tool replicating some existing Windows 10 settings functionality - Starter - a Startup Manager + Task Manager + Services Manager for Windows
Starter is a Startup Manager cum Task Manager cum Services Manager will help you manage your Windows startup items & programs and more. The tool also lists all processes & information on memory usage, DLLs, priorities, thread count, etc.

--- End quote ---

EDIT 2017-01-15: Starter has not been tested by me. @tomos comments below that it worked on Vista but has not been updated since and so may not work on later versions of Windows.
At the website http://codestuff.obninsk.ru/products_starter.html  it says:
Microsoft Windows 9x, Me, NT, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version