ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Need software to resolve RFI issue

<< < (2/4) > >>

4wd:
contact the proper authority and complain; Radio frequencies are potential dangerous and must be controlled accordingly. -Curt (November 08, 2016, 09:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's most likely 2.4GHz which is an ISM, (Industrial, Scientific, Medical), band - ISM bands are, to put it simply, free-for-all, (unlicensed), areas of the spectrum in most countries generally only restricted by the maximum power you're allowed to transmit at, (for the USA this is about 1000mW for 2.4GHz).

There's also other things that can broadcast on there, eg. your microwave oven :)

@SJ: Is it screwing with the 802.11bgn (2.4GHz) or 802.11a/ac (5GHz) WiFi ?
Or both?

Might help narrow it down since 5GHz is of shorter range than 2.4GHz, (dependent on power output naturally).

Curt:
What is being insinuated? The subject of this thread is RFI issues, right? RFI issues are potential dangerous! I quote: "output signal that is screwing with everything wireless in my world. My garage door opener, the wireless alarm fob for my bike, my wireless network, etc" (or hospital equipment or fly-by-wire missiles, etcetera) which is why we have regulations for controlling RF. We have it all over Europe, I know they have it in California. I am certain they have it in Florida as well. The rules have clearly not been followed, otherwise this thread would not have been started. Complain to the proper office!

Shades:
In the Netherlands the situation is very similar to what Curt said.

And you would get heavy fines for creating issues on any frequency band. And whatever device they think you used to cause this problem with is confiscated. With virtually no chance of getting that back. Doing anything with radio signals as a hobby? Better make sure your licenses and permits are in order. Getting those isn't a small feat, because a) not cheap, b) you actually need to show bonafide experts that you know your stuff and c) always be prepared for unannounced checks.

Radio cars are deployed if enough complaints come in and/or when you affect government functionality (in-)directly. Granted, because of mobile phones this isn't not nearly as much of an issue as it was in my youth, but to my knowledge the fines for messing with radio signals of any kind haven't been altered.

With that in mind, I too fail to see what is insinuated.

Also, in my youth, people would play "fox hunt". That would be a random member of the club taking on the role of the "fox" by setting up an antenna and transmitter somewhere within a 40 square kilometer area. The remainder of club members would start at midday at the clubhouse, each with a car and a meter to find the source of the signal bursts the "fox" would broadcast at random intervals. That was kinda fun at the time.

I guess those kind of meters were readily available in the US too and you could adapt one if you cannot find one for the frequency band(s) of your "choice". Should help you a lot finding the source of your troubles.

4wd:
What is being insinuated?-Curt (November 08, 2016, 05:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Curt, I'm not insinuating anything, I said "most countries".

Equipment that operates in these ISM bands should be more tolerant of interference simply because they are a "noisy" band.

Doesn't mean there isn't someone broadcasting at a power output in excess of the regulations, just that it's going to be a little hard to do anything about it if they are within specs ... and that includes complaining to the FCC.

Curt:
oh, I'm sorry I wasn't clear. My reaction was to the first two answers; I felt they read something entirely different into my first post, than what I was trying to say. As if I was trying to ban radios or something. AND I don't understand why the OP automatically thought the problem was a radio amateur, the problem may easily have been caused by heavy machinery on a plant instead.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version