ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Cross-utilization?

<< < (4/4)

MilesAhead:
Could also be a good name for a search engine that returns copious information unrelated to the query in question.  :)
-MilesAhead (November 11, 2016, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Google does this occasionally, if my guessing the 'right' keywords isn't good enough.  :)  How about fling+Google... flingle?
-crabby3 (November 21, 2016, 02:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds cool to me.

Aren't some words relating to anything these days... just made-up?

--- End quote ---

Yeah, one that comes to mind is WiFi.  Supposedly it does not really stand for anything.  The guy who coined the name probably was a HiFi enthusiast back in the day when they had dedicated HiFi stores.  :)

crabby3:
Could also be a good name for a search engine that returns copious information unrelated to the query in question.  :)
-MilesAhead (November 11, 2016, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Google does this occasionally, if my guessing the 'right' keywords isn't good enough.  :)  How about fling+Google... flingle?
-crabby3 (November 21, 2016, 02:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds cool to me.

Aren't some words relating to anything these days... just made-up?

--- End quote ---

Yeah, one that comes to mind is WiFi.  Supposedly it does not really stand for anything.  The guy who coined the name probably was a HiFi enthusiast back in the day when they had dedicated HiFi stores.  :)

-MilesAhead (November 21, 2016, 04:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, it doesn't really stand for anything.  But WiFi is easier to remember than "IEEE 802.11b Direct Sequence".  Short read.

BTW  Word-of-mouth is very unreliable.  Around 30 yrs ago I read something about yin yang and finally saw the correct spelling. ;D  Better late than...

MilesAhead:
Yes, it doesn't really stand for anything.  But WiFi is easier to remember than "IEEE 802.11b Direct Sequence".  Short read.
-crabby3 (November 22, 2016, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not only that.  When a woman sites the spec the males present think she has seen a mouse(but not the kind with the wheel.)  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version