ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Cross-utilization?

<< < (2/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
I'd be curious if there is a concise explanation of USB flash vs SSD and the SSD's facility for trim or pre-W7 the algorithm built into the controller to "condition" deleted memory so it writes quickly again the next time around, and the ramifications(pun intended) thereof.  :)

crabby3:
Wait, what's the point to defrag a flash drive anyway?

I mean, it's not like fragmentation really has any effect on access times for non-mechanical drives... so unless perhaps you plan on making partitions on that driveā€¦ ?_?

However, if you still want an answer then: "Sure, why not? As long as you have a defrag program that can run on those devices and access the usb drives..."
-ConstanceJill (November 04, 2016, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you, ConstanceJill.

A total stranger asked me this.

I thought it was possible but a little knowledge about anything is dangerous so I just shrugged and changed the subject.

Just glad I didn't answer after reading all the replies here.

crabby3:

--- End quote ---

You never want to defrag a flash drive.  Flash memory wears out.  And defragging uses up reads and writes from the flash drive's lifetime.
-wraith808 (November 04, 2016, 09:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

How can something with no moving parts wear out?

wraith808:

--- End quote ---

You never want to defrag a flash drive.  Flash memory wears out.  And defragging uses up reads and writes from the flash drive's lifetime.
-wraith808 (November 04, 2016, 09:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

-crabby3 (November 07, 2016, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

While the technology continues to improve, the fact is that flash memory has a limited number of times it can be written to. As it begins to get closer and closer to the rated writes on the flash drive, you begin to get errors and such.  Thus... wear out.

MilesAhead:
-crabby3 (November 07, 2016, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

My GF used to ask me the same question.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version