ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

dvd players + video formats

<< < (2/3) > >>

MilesAhead:
No more tedious transcoding... You download and play... Easy!
-antekgla (November 02, 2016, 04:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

As time goes on more and more stuff will become available, so less of a need to transcode.  I like foreign films generally and Asian moves and TV shows in particular.  Having to deal with subtitles often limits the options.  Hopefully more and more edits of each film/TV show have synced subs available online.  Therefore stuff should be a lot simpler than the hurdles I had to jump over just to watch quality video with subs.  :)

Anyway I am curious about the hardware the OP uses and look forward to the replies.
I have been out of the loop for a few years.  Software and especially media stuff changes fast.  So I am reluctant to suggest specific software.  If I did the chances would be high that much of it is abandonedware by now.  :)

I wish I had a setup to check out the new set top boxes and Ultra HD.  I'm sure it is all very cool.  :)
Next time I hit the Lotto I'll have to empty out the BrandsMart.  :)

Target:
ok, safe to say we're not in UHD territory ;D ;D ;D. 

Device is a cheapo Audiosonic (Mod # CDV-992AQ) which isn't referenced on the site Miles linked to.  Googling the model number only shows 2 pages (almost a googlewhack these days). 

Generic searching for Audiosonic and formats indicates DIVX so I'm gonna go with that and see what happens (what could possibly go wrong?)

MilesAhead:

Device is a cheapo Audiosonic (Mod # CDV-992AQ) which isn't referenced on the site Miles linked to.  Googling the model number only shows 2 pages (almost a googlewhack these days). 

Generic searching for Audiosonic and formats indicates DIVX so I'm gonna go with that and see what happens (what could possibly go wrong?)
-Target (November 02, 2016, 07:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like a good plan.  Likely any video made using xvid converter to specs would work.  A lot of free conversion tools use xvid.  I never had a problem due to using that instead of the divx codec.

wraith808:
I just use MakeMKV, and that allows me to play it from my DVD player, my media hub, and my computer.

MilesAhead:
I just use MakeMKV, and that allows me to play it from my DVD player, my media hub, and my computer.
-wraith808 (November 03, 2016, 09:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1  I bought a MakeMKV license back in Feb. 2010.

I don't know why the DVD Player USB port is so touchy about format unless the DVD makers all buy the same chip that has the decoding built in or something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version