ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

should I be using a VPN? why? what about the recent deals?

<< < (5/6) > >>

MilesAhead:
Thanks for the response, f0dder. I was still waiting for someone to answer the "why" part of this thread's question(s).
-Deozaan (December 21, 2016, 09:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

One of the "whys" in my case is totally legitimate https access to a server.  In the case of MDC WiFi there are times when it does not like the certificate it gets from the server.  HawkHost provided me a work-around by accessing my account control panel via http.  But by using the VPN that comes with Opera I am given the option to access the server via https even though it has a certificate out of date or whatever.

If I log in to the wired network in the college library it connects to the HawkHost server without squawking.  So it is not like it is a pirate site or anything.  Just the WiFi is a bit more paranoid because they leave it open to the public I suppose.

f0dder:
I guess "MDC WiFi" means the WiFi network on your college?

If you get HTTPS certificate errors while connected to it, your college sysadmins are probably some misguided fools that are doing nasty man-in-the-middle shit on your connections.

Innuendo:
Whether or not to use a VPN is something that must be considered carefully. When someone asks me if they should be using a VPN I tell them that they need to tell me first why they think they need one. A VPN will not make you 'invisible'. While your traffic will be encrypted, there's no way to hide that your IP address is connected to and communicating with the destination IP address. Your IP address is like your home address. While you may receive a big honkin' package from UPS and your neighbors will not be able to see its contents, your neighbors are still going to be able to easily see that you did receive a big honkin' package of some sort. While we're on the subject, Tor isn't nearly as safe as it used to be, either, if you are trying to keep everything you do on the 'net on the down-low.

Do your due diligence and homework. All VPN services are not equal. Some have shoddy VPN clients that leak data and personal details. Some services keep logs for months, sometimes years. Again, ponder carefully why you think you need a VPN as that will weigh heavily in which service you should go with. For a lot of people, using a VPN is far more trouble than its worth with little benefit because they chose the wrong service or configured the VPN client on their machine improperly or don't bother to turn on and off the client at appropriate times. Yes, some sites will reject traffic if they detect any VPN activity so you will toggling it once in a while. A VPN is not a fire and forget solution.

In short, a VPN can be a very secure tool for the right people in the right circumstances, but it's not a cure-all for everything malevolent on the internet.

f0dder:
While your traffic will be encrypted, there's no way to hide that your IP address is connected to and communicating with the destination IP address.-Innuendo (December 28, 2016, 07:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
A VPN masks what you're communicating with - snoopers will only be able to see that you're communicating with the VPN concentrator. The destination host won't see your IP either, it will see the IP of the VPN concentrator.

But as already mentioned, it's not foolproof and there's way to unmask you.

In short, a VPN can be a very secure tool for the right people in the right circumstances, but it's not a cure-all for everything malevolent on the internet.-Innuendo (December 28, 2016, 07:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
Again: securely using the internet from an insecure location (hotel, café, whatever). Nothing more, nothing less.

If you're doing malevolent stuff and think a VPN will do anything for you, prepare for some jail time :-)

Innuendo:
But as already mentioned, it's not foolproof and there's way to unmask you.-f0dder (December 28, 2016, 02:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's what I was trying to get at in a roundabout way. Too much data in my head sometimes...A VPN will protect you from casual scrutiny. If you are targeted and singled out it's not a silver bullet to prevent detection.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version