ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

should I be using a VPN? why? what about the recent deals?

<< < (3/6) > >>

holt:
Anonymous Speech - The IT Law wiki.
Inherent in the panoply of protections afforded by the ((American)) First Amendment is the right to speak anonymously in diverse contexts.[2] This right arises from a long tradition of American advocates speaking anonymously through pseudonyms, such as James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, and John Jay, who authored the Federalist Papers but signed them only as "Publius."

The U.S. Supreme Court has stated that "an author's decision to remain anonymous . . . is an aspect of the freedom of speech protected by the First Amendment."[3] This is because "the interest in having anonymous works enter the marketplace of ideas unquestionably outweighs any public interest in requiring disclosure as a condition of entry."[4] The Supreme Court has also held that there is "no basis for qualifying the level of First Amendment scrutiny that should be applied to . . . [the Internet] medium."[5] Accordingly, "it is clear that speech over the internet is entitled to First Amendment protection" and that "this protection extends to anonymous internet speech."[6]-holt (November 26, 2016, 10:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

All of which only applies to American Citizens.
-4wd (November 26, 2016, 11:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
^True, whereas the Internet is an international virtual reality where everyone is a Netizen endowed with virtual powers, wherein most strive to practice a form of beneficent 'common law' based on 'common good sense', and who naturally strive to self-police the domain for the betterment of all.

holt:
How (and why) to surf the web in secret
BugMeNot: find and share logins
Tor (anonymity network)

4wd:
Companies like Windscribe in Canada (a new company that made a splash) and VPN Unlimited seem to have specials along the usage of one year at $20 or lifetime at $40. -Steven Avery (October 13, 2016, 02:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

I actually picked up one of the VPN Unlimited Infinity Lifetime (Lifetime = 99 years, IIRC) deals late last year for <US$40.  Was less than for a year with the provider I was using, so even if VPN Unlimited die in the next month I've saved money :D

Their software is easy to use, (application for most OSs, an app for Chrome based browsers, and instructions for various other devices), they allow torrents on specific servers, and allow up to 5 devices to connect at once as standard, (Chrome with the app counts as one device, separate from the whole computer).  You can cover more devices if necessary at a monthly/yearly cost, (they have specials on that occasionally).

Speeds are fine for me with no real impact, (only on ADSL2+ at 6-8Mb/1Mb), using the Optimal VPN gateway (the closest).

tomos:
Companies like Windscribe in Canada (a new company that made a splash) and VPN Unlimited seem to have specials along the usage of one year at $20 or lifetime at $40. -Steven Avery (October 13, 2016, 02:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

happened across this offer on Techradar -- no idea if it still valid or not -- the article is 14 days old
Get 50GB free VPN bandwidth [Windscribe] every month for life
(Normally free version is 10GB)

Deozaan:
I just signed up with Windscribe with that offer and it seems to have worked. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version