ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

free USA Voip calls with searchable contact list

(1/3) > >>

Steven Avery:
Skype has a decent contact list (also group calls work pretty well) capability, however a USA call is .02c a minute.  I have chugged up maybe $50 over time with that one.  One quirk, sometimes the keyboard does not work on "enter 1 for repetition..".

Google Voice and Google Hangouts are hard to separate these days.  You have to be in the active google account (no big problem).  Calls are free.  So far I have not been able to make any contact list work well.  Am I missing something?   The free calls themselves can be done easily by the phone pad.

Facebook calls to Facebook members are free and they work well .. to other Facebook members.  This comes in very handy in a limited way.

=============================

Does any one site allow:

1) free outgoing USA calls (like Google Voice and/or Google Hangouts)

2) the maintenance of a searchable contact list? (like Skype)

Steven

Deozaan:
Google Voice/Hangouts uses your Google/Gmail contacts. It's fully searchable.

Make sure you click the phone icon so it knows you're searching for contacts with phone numbers. If it thinks you're trying to start a new IM/Hangout, it will search for people in your contacts who have Google+/Hangouts accounts as well as random people on Google+.

Steven Avery:
Good, but some complexities.

Afaik, you are attached to a singular Gmail account, and I have different accts for biz, personal finance, travel, Bible, etc.
Theoretically I could use it for my conglomeration forwarding account, I would have to test that to see how it works. 

Also, a lot of times you are calling people where you do not have a gmail correspondence.  (For one thing, I also use my Verizon email account a lot.)
Looking for a person to do a bathtub, I might call five numbers, they are not in my email.

So I might be able to improve the hangouts/voice experience, but not make it super-happy.  I will try it a bit more thought and see if the adding and searching works ok.

Steven

wraith808:
Afaik, you are attached to a singular Gmail account, and I have different accts for biz, personal finance, travel, Bible, etc.
Theoretically I could use it for my conglomeration forwarding account, I would have to test that to see how it works. 
-Steven Avery (October 11, 2016, 07:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am not.  I have a Google Apps (cloud?  home) address, then several addresses that feed into that particular address through the use of forwarders.  I have a separate Google Apps account for work, and a separate one that I am currently in the process of deprecating.  I've not had a problem finding contacts, and more importantly, keeping them separate when they shouldn't be together, i.e. sending a correspondence to someone with a similar name across accounts.  There are certain annoyances- the fact that now I'm using a different account, I can't transfer the google voice number between the accounts.  But my contacts- I've never had a problem, whether I've corresponded with them by e-mail or not.

What is the particular use case that you're having a problem with?  I'm having a problem unpacking your query (though that may be my fault)

Steven Avery:

Skype has a quick on-the-fly adding of a contact. No email searching and hit required.  This is a big plus.  However Skype costs .02 a minute.

I'm looking to have the cake (on-the-fly addition of contact numbers like in Skype Voip-Stunt, etc) and eat it as well (free calls like in Google Voice and Facebook).
I often like the handsfree and speaker aspect, compared to using the old time phone. It works well with making notes in Evernote or Notezilla.

Lacking that, I want as close as I can get.  e.g. a .01 call would be much better than .02.

Solution - EasyVoip (which I have used in the past) is only 3/10 of a cent. That will not add up like the .02c of Skype. ADDED: oops, .039 connection fee
 VoipStunt is a bit to figure out, it is pseudo-free. There are others.

Steven

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version