ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Any lawyers here?

(1/3) > >>

crabby3:
Supposedly a 50 yr. old Florida woman died of a heart attack and her death was attributed to Hurricane Matthew.

If this woman was my mom or relative and she panicked easily, like my mom did, I'd be blaming The Weather Cannel for her death.

IMO Their undue hype about 'possible' dangers were very misleading.  Trying to make things seem worse than they really are or were.
Preying on people who've never been through one.

Couldn't TWC be held accountable for this woman's death?

P.S.  The Bahamas-roof-lift-off video was shown again and again.  The roof-half came up like a post Wilma DIY project.  Like it was held on by gravity.

FWIW  Matthew was a strong storm when it was offshore of Ft. Lauderdale.  But the keyword here is offshore.  About 40 friggin' miles offshore.
Too far to cause any 'possible' death or destruction.  There were wind gusts here and there but you had to be outdoors to notice.
The small amount of rain was vertical and more of a sprinkle.  No flooding. No floating cars. No reason to panic or run away.  No loss of power; didn't even blink.

holt:
I'm not a lawyer, but this is a traditionally time-worn subject for which some of the more well-known protagonists are weather forecasters, and either farmers or fishermen, for whom accurate forecasts are of great importance.
I already was aware of this, but realized I did not know the answer to the question of legal liability, and your post made me curious.
Here is an answer, of sorts; Someone to Blame: Legal Liability for Weather Forecasts.
BTW, purely FYI, a female newscaster who gives the weather report or forecast is a 'weather bunny', as shown here; Wanda The Weather Bunny" (Commercial, 1971). 8)

MilesAhead:
I wonder if TWC has a disclaimer hidden in there someplace that weather forecasts are "for entertainment purposes only?"  :)

As for anything government related they usually just cite Sovereign Immunity and refuse to discuss the matter.  Then again I am not an attorney and all the stuff I have heard is just that.  Hearsay.  :)

Anyone know what Perry Mason has to say about it?

crabby3:
I'm not a lawyer, but this is a traditionally time-worn subject for which some of the more well-known protagonists are weather forecasters, and either farmers or fishermen, for whom accurate forecasts are of great importance.
I already was aware of this, but realized I did not know the answer to the question of legal liability, and your post made me curious.
Here is an answer, of sorts; Someone to Blame: Legal Liability for Weather Forecasts.
BTW, purely FYI, a female newscaster who gives the weather report or forecast is a 'weather bunny', as shown here; Wanda The Weather Bunny" (Commercial, 1971). 8)
-holt (October 19, 2016, 12:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for your info, Holt.

I figured this subject had already been addressed in the past... somewhere.

Your first link was very informative.  Yes, it was overturned but what would $1.25 million be in today's money?

The Weather Bunny parody brought back memories of simpler time.  Though all 3 of my news/weather channels had zero women... men only.  :-\

MilesAhead:
The Weather Bunny parody brought back memories of simpler time.  Though all 3 of my news/weather channels had zero women... men only.
-crabby3 (October 21, 2016, 09:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

I liked the ones where the woman had to write on the glass backwards.  They were standing behind a glass weather map with a white crayon.  For the viewers to read what they wrote they had to write it on the glass backwards.  Not only that but often they wore outfits similar to a magician's assistant.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version