ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Ads On The Website

<< < (3/3)

momonan:
I don't really see how ad-based plans work, since I never click on ads at a site (except here, to add a little revenue to DC ;)), but somebody sees a future in it.  Read how AOL proposes to go to a free, ad-based service:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/07/technology/07aol.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

mouser:
from the ny times article:
The great deluge of AOL discs is finally going to end.

AOL is putting the final touches on a plan that would stop marketing its subscription service, which for more than a decade has been the most popular way that Americans connect to the Internet, according to a senior AOL executive close to the plan's development.

Instead, it will redouble its efforts to build a free, advertising-supported business on the Web, offering current and former members access to the most popular features of its paid service — including e-mail addresses at AOL.com, free virus protection, and use of AOL's software program.

The plan would save hundreds of millions of dollars a year in marketing costs and involve layoffs of thousands of AOL's 19,000 employees, said the executive, who would not speak for attribution because the details of the plan have not been completed.
--- End quote ---

fascinating.

Carol Haynes:
The only reason they are doing this is because they are haemoraging users at an alarming rate. I read a Reuter's article about this and basically the consensus seems to be that a lot of AOL customers only stay because they are tied in to "AOL" email. A lot are making the move to free Yahoo email, and once that step has been made what is the point of staying with AOL?

Personally I find it hilarious that AOL are suggesting they will go to an ad supported model - do they seriously mean that the current AOL isn't ad supported! Having seen AOL on other peoples' systems it is hard to work out where the ads end and the 'service' starts in the subscription version - if they up the advertising in the next version it is going to be horrendous and unuseable!

app103:

Personally I find it hilarious that AOL are suggesting they will go to an ad supported model - do they seriously mean that the current AOL isn't ad supported! Having seen AOL on other peoples' systems it is hard to work out where the ads end and the 'service' starts in the subscription version - if they up the advertising in the next version it is going to be horrendous and unusable!

-Carol Haynes (July 07, 2006, 08:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

They are moving to a free ad-supported service...as opposed to the current paid ad-supported service. If it gets any worse it will be a clone of Juno 4.0 with the big always on top ad filled bar that blocks you from accessing your desktop. (I really hope I am joking and not predicting the future here).

This is one of the reasons why I use their tray dialer instead of the traditional software every other AOL user connects with. I get just a strong stable connection that's even compatible with my other pc's ancient X2 modem, without all the extra crap. I have to use external applications for everything...just like normal people do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version