ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for smartphone

<< < (3/51) > >>

kalos:
you hijacked my thread!

kilele:
you hijacked my thread!
-kalos (September 23, 2016, 07:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
:o :o :-[ :-* :D

kalos:
Only buy a phone with the Android-based MIUI OS, (eg. XIAOMI), if you're willing to install another firmware, perform extensive setting modification, or willing to put up with chronic privacy invasion - FWIW, I have a XIAOMI Redmi Note 2 running non-standard firmware.

I recommend you get a phone with a Qualcomm processor, (ie. SnapDragon SoC), not MTK, as it is better supported by third party firmware, eg. CyanogenMod, and you'll get Android version updates a lot faster.

Besides that, you haven't said anything about your other needs, ie. Dual (4G) SIM, microSD, HD/FHD, battery life, network coverage, etc, etc.

XIAOMI just released the Redmi Note 3 Special Edition which has world-wide 4G band coverage, (and there's a CyanogenMod version available to install with a little fiddling).

Since you're in the UK: WileyFox
-4wd (September 22, 2016, 07:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I am about to buy Xiaomi RedMi Note 3, but it doesn't have removable battery! that is a major con because after few months/years the battery loses its performance and needs replacement!

4wd:
Only buy a phone with the Android-based MIUI OS, (eg. XIAOMI), if you're willing to install another firmware, perform extensive setting modification, or willing to put up with chronic privacy invasion - FWIW, I have a XIAOMI Redmi Note 2 running non-standard firmware.

I recommend you get a phone with a Qualcomm processor, (ie. SnapDragon SoC), not MTK, as it is better supported by third party firmware, eg. CyanogenMod, and you'll get Android version updates a lot faster.

Besides that, you haven't said anything about your other needs, ie. Dual (4G) SIM, microSD, HD/FHD, battery life, network coverage, etc, etc.

XIAOMI just released the Redmi Note 3 Special Edition which has world-wide 4G band coverage, (and there's a CyanogenMod version available to install with a little fiddling).

Since you're in the UK: WileyFox
-4wd (September 22, 2016, 07:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I am about to buy Xiaomi RedMi Note 3, but it doesn't have removable battery! that is a major con because after few months/years the battery loses its performance and needs replacement!
-kalos (September 25, 2016, 05:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Obviously you can:
Battery
Tear down

DO NOT fall for the batteries that advertise a higher capacity than the standard BM46 - to have a higher capacity means it has to be a physically bigger battery, ie. it won't fit.  If it is the same dimensions then it probably means that the marked capacity is BS.  Do the research and buy from a reputable seller, check the XIAOMI forums, ask.

BTW, you do know there is multiple models of the Redmi Note 3 don't you?

Some with MTK X10 processor and some with a SnapDragon 650 processor, (there's also the 3S with a SnapDragon 430) - you'll probably find there is differences in the 4G bands covered also.

4wd:
He I've made a list on ebay to cast your phone on tv. I've yet to make my mind.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/cln/g.g5700/tvcast/334710121014?roken=cUgayN-kilele (September 23, 2016, 06:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's entirely up to you, set a price point then see what's available.  I'd go for at least 1GB of RAM (more RAM is better) and a quad-core processor, read on forums, see what's available in alternate firmware in case you want to play with it.  See what the one you're interested in is like for video playback, some stutter due to insufficient cores/RAM/etc, search the forums - it's pretty easy to find info using the model numbers.
Make sure it has the connectivity you want/need.

BTW, the Huawei Y550 would have doubled your RAM and the processor cores, IPS screen, and given you 4G LTE connectivity, (I also have one of those sitting here).  And it's a 1mm or less increase in dimensions all round.

Research, research, research  ;)

I don't use mine for casting very much, (I have a WD TV Live if I want to watch stuff of the net/server), it was more for a portable mini media player since I can plug in a microSD card full of stuff to watch, or I can use it as a simple internet PC if I want to, say in hotels, etc.

Will these kind of mini android pcs mean the end of my days as Microsoft user?
--- End quote ---

That is also entirely up to you, I doubt I'll ever be able to run something like Sony Movie Studio on something like this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version