ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for smartphone

<< < (6/51) > >>

kalos:
The EU XIAOMI forum releases a new version every Friday, it removes a lot of the unnecessary Chinese stuff, incorporates better multi-language support, etc, etc.

https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/6-9-22.34371/

You can see there that while the Redmi Note 3 is based on Android 5, the Redmi Note 3 PRO is Android 6.  And it's reasonably simple to flash them once TWRP is installed and getting that on is pretty easy too.

It's safer to refer to the board name that way you know exactly what model you're talking about, eg. hennesy = Redmi Note 3, kenzo = Redmi Note 3 PRO, kate = Redmi Note 3 Special Edition, etc

For me, MIUI just plain sucks - it's why I flashed my RN2 with something else. Plus the amount of screwing around to remove all the tracking, so being able to remove MIUI comes pretty close to item number 1 on the list w.r.t. a XIAOMI phone, (ie. hardware is good, the OS sucks :) ).

Some links:
XIAOMI Official ROMs
EU XIAOMI Weekly ROMs - Usually based on the developer build from XIAOMI.
sMiUI ROM Kitchen - Roll your own MIUI based ROM, remove MIUI stuff, add some things, etc.
NeedROMs (XIAOMI) - See what's available.
XDA Forums
OzBargain - Geared towards finding the best deal :)

@kalos: You need to determine the specs you want, not someone else. eg. Processor, RAM, colour, 4G bands, etc, etc and then YOU go search the internet until you have what you consider enough information to make an informed decision.

eg. The Redmi Note 3 Special Edition has 4G Band 28 (700MHz) because it's made for Taiwan but B28 is also used in Australia. This extra coverage makes this version more expensive but it would be worth it for me, doesn't mean it's worth it to you.
-4wd (September 26, 2016, 07:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

So which version is for uk? Is there an overview of the versions? Anyway I don't believe all of them are available on ebay, I consider Lenovo K920 even though it has an overheating issue

4wd:
I know you must have done that a while back, but out of curiosity, what did you replace it with?-tomos (September 27, 2016, 05:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Tried a few but settled on Less is More 6.4.
Marshmallow build done by a 3rd party is on the way, if I didn't want a working compass then I'd give the Alpha a try.

XIAOMI have said Android 6 was coming to the RN2 but who knows when that will be, the MIUI developers are slowly working through the models.  If they didn't spend so much time trying to irreversibly intertwine their apps into the OS it would have been here sooner ... then again MTK aren't known for speedy releases of kernal source code which is why a phone with a Qualcomm CPU is better.
Still, an official release of Android 6 based MIUI would allow an alternative to be created that much easier since they can just grab the hardware drivers to incorporate rather than source from other similar specced phones where manufacturers have been a little more pro-active.

If you want to see what it takes to remove the "XIAOMI Ecosphere" from an RN2 and tweak battery life, etc, see here.  I did it but didn't like the result, (a couple of annoyingly obvious bugs), so I switched ROM.

Think I'll save my pennies for the RN3 SE (kate), since I travel overseas it'd be pretty close to the perfect phone at a good price point, (if only it had NFC also).

kalos:
I know you must have done that a while back, but out of curiosity, what did you replace it with?-tomos (September 27, 2016, 05:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Tried a few but settled on Less is More 6.4.
Marshmallow build done by a 3rd party is on the way, if I didn't want a working compass then I'd give the Alpha a try.

XIAOMI have said Android 6 was coming to the RN2 but who knows when that will be, the MIUI developers are slowly working through the models.  If they didn't spend so much time trying to irreversibly intertwine their apps into the OS it would have been here sooner ... then again MTK aren't known for speedy releases of kernal source code which is why a phone with a Qualcomm CPU is better.
Still, an official release of Android 6 based MIUI would allow an alternative to be created that much easier since they can just grab the hardware drivers to incorporate rather than source from other similar specced phones where manufacturers have been a little more pro-active.

If you want to see what it takes to remove the "XIAOMI Ecosphere" from an RN2 and tweak battery life, etc, see here.  I did it but didn't like the result, (a couple of annoyingly obvious bugs), so I switched ROM.

Think I'll save my pennies for the RN3 SE (kate), since I travel overseas it'd be pretty close to the perfect phone at a good price point, (if only it had NFC also).
-4wd (September 27, 2016, 08:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

can I buy the RN3SE from ebay? or a reputable place? on ebay I find 'china version' or 'singapore version' or whatever, I want it to be in english and work in the uk!

also, I read the screen is bad, any opinions?

tomos:
[..]
-4wd (September 27, 2016, 08:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

can I buy the RN3SE from ebay? or a reputable place?-kalos (September 27, 2016, 01:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

why not buy it from 4wd's link?

tomos:
also, I read the screen is bad, any opinions?
-kalos (September 27, 2016, 01:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Link?
there's lots of video reviews, especially out of India, on youtube -- I havent heard anything particularly negative about the screen, but maybe it depends on what you're comparing it with?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version