ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for smartphone

<< < (48/51) > >>

4wd:
I see the one 4wd got is available here (.de) for under 200€ but couldnt find it on uk amazon...-tomos (July 02, 2020, 04:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

I got it for AU$297, (~€183), from Amazon AU but it had a Oppo Promo and they included their ET102 ENCO Free earphones, (normally AU$149 apparently).

@4wd, maybe you could let us know how the screen and camera/s fare (just generally -- I'll have a look at an in depth review at some stage).
--- End quote ---

Screen is great compared to the G5+, (comes with a screen protector already fitted plus a TPU case), bright enough for me to use it inside/outside and very sharp.

Camera uses Omnivision sensors and the default camera app is apparently a little underwhelming, (it does have Electronic Image Stabilisation), but there is a GCam port [direct apk link] available that you can sideload that improves photos a lot.

I presume you'll be ripping out the OS, or have you done it already? :-)
--- End quote ---

Atm, I'm leaving it stock, (first Android phone I haven't rooted pretty much immediately but probably will in a couple of months when I start getting annoyed at the limitations of a non-rooted phone).
What's really annoying is some messaging apps don't provide any means of a complete chat backup, (Viber for instance, compared to Signal/WhatsApp which backup everything), which I could restore fully if I had root.

Most I'll do currently is disable some of the stock apps via ADB, (eg. GMail, some Oppo apps), otherwise their version of Android 10, ColorOs 7, is reasonably stock ... I'm probably going to miss some of the Moto Actions and I'll miss the Moto Clock because of the easy to read battery level.

Some nice things I didn't know:

* You can do gestures when the screen is off to start things, V = torch, O = camera, || = play/pause track, < = previous track, > = next track, plus you can set others, (^, W, M, etc), to run apps.
* A system wide Dark Mode
* You can have the nav buttons autohide, (like Windows taskbar), or forego them altogether and use swipes up from the bottom, left-side = back, middle = home, swipe and hold = recent, (good for me because I always used Moto's single button nav which used the FPR for navigation).
* Besides VoLTE it can also do VoWiFi, (if your provider lets you - which mine does).
A local review.

... and it doesn't crash when this image is used as the backdrop ;D

MilesAhead:
The main thing I find disappointing is that the new Moto phones do not seem to want to improve on 720P resolution.  Such a big heavy phone should have 1080P FHD.

Another less than stellar "feature" of my e5 is that any photos I take look like total crap.  Streaming video isn't too bad if the WiFi has good bandwidth, but anything less than 1080P is unacceptable these days.-MilesAhead (July 01, 2020, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, it is their budget phone series, most manufacturers have a line that is 720p, ordinary camera, 2-3GB RAM, 16-32GB eMMC Flash, MTK or SD4xx SoC, etc, (eg. Samsung Galaxy A01) ... you'd need to move to their G series for better specs ... which is what they hope you do.
-4wd (July 01, 2020, 07:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I just checked out the Moto G8 Power specs.  At $250 USD it does provide 1080P screen res, 4GB ram, 64GB storage.  What I find inexplicable with the Moto series is the inability of the unlucky few like myself, to use the earphone jack.  As incredible as it sounds if you look through the Motorola forums you will see a small percentage of reports that describe how no standard stereo set of earbuds will work.  How can such old technology not work?  It is totally bizarre.  I have to use a blue tooth headset.  Granted the sound is much better but I would like to be able to keep a set of buds in my pocket for stuff like listening to phone messages without digging out a headset.  Needless to say with the volume maxed I still cannot hear my messages through the speakers.

I am sure some will think I am crazy but it seems these complaints span several years.  There always seems to be a fly in the ointment with every electronic device I purchase.  It is very frustrating.  I tried 3 sets of bud-like blue tooth headphones thinking they would at least be easier to carry.  None lasted more than two weeks.  They all instantly transitioned from working fine to dead door nail.

tomos:
There always seems to be a fly in the ointment with every electronic device I purchase.
-MilesAhead (July 02, 2020, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
I reckon that's always (nearly always?) the case. I dont use earphones, so never came across the problem. But did have other problems with connectivity (and needing to reboot to recover). In fairness that problem seems to have been resolved at some stage, but it's not that I'd particularly recommend Moto -- but I would at least consider buying again.

When looking to purchase something, I generally start by reading the Amazon one star reviews. That can get depressing though, cause there doesnt seem to be anything out there that doesnt come with problems -- maybe a lot of that is to do with the minimal quality control these days.

4wd:
There always seems to be a fly in the ointment with every electronic device I purchase.  It is very frustrating.  I tried 3 sets of bud-like blue tooth headphones thinking they would at least be easier to carry.  None lasted more than two weeks.  They all instantly transitioned from working fine to dead door nail.-MilesAhead (July 02, 2020, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

My experience only with the G5+, it's audio output during phone calls is loud, very loud ... easily the loudest phone I've ever had.  It's like someone speaking directly into your ear at something a little louder than normal talking volume, I've never had a problem trying to hear what someone is saying no matter what environment I'm in.

Earphones, for wired I use MEE Audio M6P or the older MEE Audio M9P, (prefer the M6P's due to the memory wire retainer).

Bluetooth, (where to start):
Bluedio N2 (these were absolute rubbish, uncomfortable and low audio)
AWEI A960BL
Xiaomi Mi Bluetooth Headset
QCY Q26 (both these QCY sets and the SoundPEATS are a little too "square" to be really comfortable but the audio is good from all of them)
QCY T1C
SoundPEATS TWS
Tronsmart Spunky Beat
Tronsmart Onyx Free
OPPO ENCO Free (haven't tried these yet)

Plus two BT headphones:
MEE Audio Wave
MEE Audio Air-Fi Touch

All the earphones/headphones still work fine, all except the Bluedio N2, (which I threw out after using once), have been used for months both on the phone, tablets, and computer.

The two Tronsmart sets are my current daily use earphones, one set for the tablet/phones, the other for the computer.  The M6P's are used when I have to wear ear protectors so I can listen to music while I'm brush-cutting, etc.

NOTE: The above links aren't necessarily where I bought the item from.

MilesAhead:
NOTE: The above links aren't necessarily where I bought the item from.
-4wd (July 02, 2020, 07:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the info.  The earphone jack thing is kind of insidious.  When buying a phone you are likely to worry if other stuff will work rather than the jack.  For example I might want to make sure the fingerprint scanner works and just assume the earphone jack will since they have had so many decades to perfect it.   ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version