ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for smartphone

<< < (41/51) > >>

tomos:
[Moto G6]
A double twist of the wrist opens the camera app, even if the phone is locked, very quick, the app is running by the time I hold it up for a photo.
-4wd (June 25, 2018, 07:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
I had figured that out -- but not this:
Doing it while the camera is running will also swap between the front/rear camera.
--- End quote ---
it's not ideal for my wrist (have problems with both after years of drawing with a mouse), but doable for those occasional important moments.

I'm still undecided about the phone -- it is a lovely phone. Will have more time Friday to test it. Football is very distracting at the moment ;)

4wd:
[Moto G6]
A double twist of the wrist opens the camera app, even if the phone is locked, very quick, the app is running by the time I hold it up for a photo.
--- End quote ---
it's not ideal for my wrist (have problems with both after years of drawing with a mouse), but doable for those occasional important moments.-tomos (June 26, 2018, 03:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know about the G6 but there is also another way to fast start the camera app, Settings->Display->Press power button twice for camera - unfortunately no good if you've got it locked with a PIN or Pattern, it'll ask you for it.

There's some apps on the Play Store that let you assign actions to the fingerprint reader, might be possible to use that, eg. swipe up on the reader to open the camera.

eg. Fingerprint Gestures

Other apps let you draw gestures on the screen to perform functions, one of my old phones let you draw a C on the screen to open the camera, (even when it was unlocked).

Then again, you could go high tech:
Buy a ring with RFID, use an app, (eg. Tasker), to unlock the phone and run the camera app when you grab the phone.

tomos:
I don't know about the G6 but there is also another way to fast start the camera app, Settings->Display->Press power button twice for camera - unfortunately no good if you've got it locked with a PIN or Pattern, it'll ask you for it.
-4wd (June 27, 2018, 08:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
unfortunately that's not shown as an option for me here:
was wondering if options would change if I removed the PIN, but it then says it will delete my saved fingerprints. Odd. (Not looking for help there: will mess around with that when I have a bit of time).

I like the G6 a lot. Haven't yet used it much, and am still in that phase of: I've been using a different OS for 2.5 years and only notice the things that are worse in this one.
But I have decided to keep the phone and am happy about the decision. I know that Android has the advantage (over Windows phones) that there are a lot of options in terms of apps and possibilities.

Here a shot I was happy with:

Looking for smartphone

I see it's HDR -- been messing around with settings so not sure what's on or off...

4wd:
The deletion of stored fingerprints when you remove the PIN is a safety feature.

ie. If the reader fails or your fingerprints change (scratches, burns, etc), how else will you unlock your phone?
The PIN is a backup.

Also, about once a week, it will ask you for the PIN to reauthorize the use of fingerprints - security feature.

HDR is on by default in the Moto camera, (HDR+ in the Google camera), you can turn it off when you're in the app.

app103:
I just bought a Moto G6, and I like it much better than the G3 or G4.

It's a bit more narrow than the G4, but doesn't seem to suffer from the most reported issue of the G4, namely the "ghost taps" which are annoying enough that I'll be shipping my G4 back for service, while it's still under warranty.

Not sure how well you can see it, but here's the G6 (left) and G4 (right), side by side, for size comparison, with almost identical protective cases. In the 3rd image, the G6 is on top of the G4, and you can see some of the G4 sticking out. It's not a huge size difference, like it was going from the G3 to G4, but if you are hoping for an even bigger screen than older models, it's not going to happen. As I stated before, the screen is actually smaller. You might perceive this as either a good thing or bad thing, depending on the size of your hands or pockets, or other factors. (one of my favorite games is ad free on the G3 and G6, because of screen size, crediting me with bonuses for viewing video ads, without actually showing the ads. You get stuck with video ads on the G4's larger screen, because the game treats it same as a tablet.)

Looking for smartphoneLooking for smartphoneLooking for smartphone

Battery life of the G6 doesn't seem as good as the G4, though, even though they are both 3000 mAh. And you'll need extra USB-C chargers, as all your existing micro-USB will be useless with it.

Sim & SD cards are inserted from the outside, into a little slide out tray on the top edge of the phone, rather than having to take the back off the phone to install them. And despite what is advertised, it does support SD cards over 128G (I have a 256G in mine). The cards seem to be located away from the battery, unlike previous models. Perhaps this will help ensure that the heat from battery, during charging, won't knock them out, which is something else I experienced frequently with the G4 and only occasionally with the G3.

It works well with thicker protective cases, and you'll probably want one of those rather than a thinner case, because the glass on the back that covers the camera sticks out far enough that if the case is too thin or you use it without a case, that glass will hit the table when you set the phone down.

I got the Amazon Prime version, so double clicking the power button activates Alexa, rather than turning the camera on. But like previous Moto G models, making a chopping motion still turns on the flash light, and twisting turns on the camera.

Would I recommend this phone? Absolutely! I still feel it's the best phone available in this price range, and affordable enough to get one, unlocked.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version