ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

How do you avoid Shareware on Sale's sneaky nagware ?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Deozaan:
I've never heard of Shareware on Sale until you mentioned it in this thread. I didn't berate you, I merely pointed out that your question was already answered. It seemed like an obvious answer to me, but I haven't tried installing anything from SoS before, so I may not be familiar with how it works.

I believe what Curt meant was that during the installation process you have a chance to click "No" or uncheck a box to install the crapware. That's typically how it works when crapware is bundled with installers. But again, I've never installed anything from Shareware on Sale, so I am not familiar with how their installation process works.

Either way, Curt says it is possible to install it without the crapware. So just be careful as you install and read thoroughly before you click "Next" or "OK" on the installer.

tomos:
I have to admit I was confused by the answers: if you reread the OP it gives the impression that if you download from their site, it is impossible to avoid installing sharewareonsale's 'notification' software.

edit// is it one of those situations where you have to counterintuitively click No to get the software? (I'm reminded one time with OpenCandy installer, I had to click 'Yes' to avoid installing the additional software.)

Curt:
I'm sorry if my first sentence hurted your feelings, Clairvaux; it was meant to be amusing.

Other than that, I think Deozaan was quite right.

Naturally there is a difference between members and Participants, but we seriously try to treat all parties equally well. ALL parties! The owner of "Shareware on Sale" is well known, but does to my knowledge not have any kind of agreement or deal with DonationCoder, other than being a regular Supporting Member. And as such, he deserves common, human courtesy.

Welcome to our forum!

-------------
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.-tomos
--- End quote ---

My guess is that Clairvaux expected the worst and then took this for facts.
SoS is operated by Ashraf from dotTech .org, so we already know it to be okay.

4wd:
To clarify : are you saying that you managed to download software from them, while being offered their malware/nagware, and that you managed not to install the latter ? Would you care to share the method, if you remember it ?-Clairvaux (September 23, 2016, 11:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

The picture version:

Just to be clear, in the above image I clicked Install Now as well as telling it to save the installer file.

And the French website that you pointed to is just telling you how to use a previous version of the installer stub, not the current version.
So they are not bypassing the question to install the notifier, the question was never there.

They also mention that a possible security issue was that the software was installed directly, that is also addressed in the current installer stub by allowing you to save the installer and choose not to install immediately.

First and foremost : is there any way to avoid it ?-Clairvaux (September 21, 2016, 02:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Obviously there is.

tomos:
Thanks for clearing up any confusion there 4wd :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version