ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > DC Member Programs and Projects

Synchronize 2 usb disk

<< < (3/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
As Shades has pointed out it is a good idea to have a sync with preview.  Especially in your case where you intend to sync in both directions.  I would recommend FreeCommander XE since FreeCommander has always had an excellent sync with 2 way preview with each operation in the preview deselectable.  However it still has the hassle of chasing around to get the .chm help file.  I do not understand why this has gone on for so many years.  It is not like bandwidth is back in the early 1990s anymore.

But if curious you can find FreeCommander XE on PortableApps.com.  Where you can find the help file that goes with it I have not been able to ascertain after 15 minutes of searching.  :(

limelect:
MilesAhead   This is exactly what i want. Sync BOTH WAYS.
As with the others programs they have a delete function included in the sync process
which frighten me. I NEVER WANT TO DELETE ANY FILE.
I need either update to the newest or add BUT never delete.

MilesAhead:
MilesAhead   This is exactly what i want. Sync BOTH WAYS.
As with the others programs they have a delete function included in the sync process
which frighten me. I NEVER WANT TO DELETE ANY FILE.
I need either update or add BUT never delete.
-limelect (September 19, 2016, 07:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

This installer has the help file:
http://freecommander.com/en/downloads/

make sure to get the one on the bottom for 32 bit with help file included.  I cannot find the one for the PortableApps version.  I guess when you decide to go portable you can copy the FreeCommander.chm from this installation, then uninstall.  Whew.. why the gyrations I don't know.  Edit: I guess I was a bit flustered by this time and did not notice there are help files in various languages a bit further down on the page.   :-[

Now I can uninstall the installed one and try setting up the portable one again.  :)
Edit ends.  :)

I have used the previous version of FreeCommander written in Delphi for many years.  I do not remember getting burned on a sync.  It is very intuitive to use.  On this version there seems to be no button on the Toolbar for it.  But in Folder Menu you can click Syncronize or use Alt s hotkey.  There may be a way to make a button for the toolbar.  I hope so because I used the sync in FreeCommander a lot.

A good idea may be to copy your USB flash drives to folders on the HD before you sync the first time.  A program like TeraCopy may do it a bit faster than Windows drag and drop depending how large the USB drives are.  But then you will have a way to undo things if something weird happens.

As for the Hebrew filenames I was never very knowledgeable about Unicode and code pages etc..

MilesAhead:
Since I was this far in I decided to "install" the PortableApps version and placed the help file in the specified subfolder.  The help file does come up.

As a test of the Sync I set the "left" folder to drive E: and the "right" folder to a USB I use to back up the E: partition.. just iso images, data files, downloads etc..

The E: partition has roughly 31,000 some odd files in 304 folders.  The FreeCommander XE compare including subfolders shows them all as "=" which is correct since I just synced them with DSynchronize a couple of days ago.

I feel confident that the synchronize code is likely the same as in the previous version of FreeCommaner or based on it.  So I doubt there are any major bugs.  Since I am doing this sync job on a regular basis I may as well use FreeCommander XE to do it.  :)

limelect:
MilesAhead   great job thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version