ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Dropbox alternatives

<< < (2/2)

kilele:
I don't know if one way to stick to winxp and keep using dropbox (discontinued) could be through virtualbox running dropbox for linux.

IainB:
Dropbox has dropped XP support and it will be discontinuing the ability to render HTML content in-browser via shared links or Public Folder.
Do you know some alternative which supports xp and works the same as dropbox, that is, drop files on your public folder, direct links following the same path as your folder (no encryption nor redirecting to webpages), html5 files Rendering on browsers..
-kilele (September 07, 2016, 07:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
Where you say: "Dropbox has dropped XP support and it will be discontinuing the ability to render HTML content in-browser via shared links or Public Folder.", are the two things necessarily combined or separate, or did Dropbox just happen to do the two things at the same time?
The timing seems curious anyway. The reason I say that is that Google Drive also just recently killed off the ability to render HTML content in-browser via shared links - which put me out, because I used to use Google Drive to host a few static webpages of information on different topics. It was a very handy facility. There seemed to be no real reason given by Google for killing this off. I wondered whether Dropbox had stated a reason.

kilele:
@IainB
Malware abuse if we are to believe what they say here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/208778663-Discontinuing-rendering-of-HTML-content

IainB:
@kilele: Thanks, I looked at the discussion thread at that link and read what I guess you were referring to, but it all seems to be hearsay and not from the horse's mouth (Dropbox), so i would tend to discount its validity on that basis alone.

There was also a suggestion in that discussion thread that people departing because of this action were "putting the final nails in" to Dropbox's coffin. I am not up-to-date, so have no idea what that was about. Have you any idea?
I shall meanwhile try and find out what rumours there are about Dropbox.

kilele:
There was also a suggestion in that discussion thread that people departing because of this action were "putting the final nails in" to Dropbox's coffin. I am not up-to-date, so have no idea what that was about. Have you any idea?
I shall meanwhile try and find out what rumours there are about Dropbox.
-IainB (September 10, 2016, 07:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think that was just a funny comment from a grumpy xp user :)
They must have stopped xp support to reduce development costs and avoid security issues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version