topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Pick me error on new computer  (Read 3938 times)

prebsi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Pick me error on new computer
« on: July 13, 2016, 11:32 AM »
I have been very happy with "Pick me" so far - but had to change pc recently, and after that, I cannot get Pick me to work. When I try to start a search (for music files), I get the error message: "Error 419 (Permission to use objedt denied) in procedure DIR Walk...Invalidt directory maybe?" It is of course the same directory, I have always used, no change there.
TO make things worse, once I have the mentioned error message on the screen, I cannot get rid of it again, without going to the job manager and shutting it down there...
I am on windows 10/64 bit.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Pick me error on new computer
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 12:17 PM »
hi prebsi,
the author last posted here around six months ago, talking about a new version of Pick Me, but hasnt been around since.
Tom

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Pick me error on new computer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 12:33 PM »
Sounds like that folder has user right limitations set with your previous PC.  And with the new PC you/pick me try to access that folder and that fails. If you right-click on this folder and use option 'Properties' a Window will appear. Open tab 'Security' in this window and you get an overview from the security settings for that folder.

If you see one or more 'Unknown account' there, chances are the user rights are messed up...according to Windows version that your current PC is running that is. But if you would access this folder with your previous PC there wouldn't be a problem.

This tab also gives you the option to adjust these user rights. Don't be "too generous" when making such adjustments, user rights on files/folders are usually there for a reason. Go to the Technet site from MS to learn more about ACL (Access Control List) which covers all of the above.