ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

No video after resuming from sleep - Windows 10 Anniversary Edition

<< < (4/7) > >>

4wd:
I've let mine install the Anniversary Update, this is the driver I'm using:

And it resumes from Sleep fine, I'm using HD6850 with HDMI to an AOC I2470Sw and DisplayPort->DVI to a Dell 1701P.

Don't think it'll make a difference but FWIW I'm running an AMD chipset.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, I just had it happen for the first time even though the Anniversary Update was done a week ago.

You'll probably see that the Event Log is full of this:

It appears it can happen even with a reasonably recent card: Event 4101 Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

More

From here:
Warning Event ID 4101

Hi TenForumers.
    Few days ago I found some strange warnings concerning the display driver (event ID 4101):
    "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered".
    After trying this and that with no avail, I noticed these warning were raised when I was using my Internet browser (Firefox):
    sometimes my browsing experience suffered of occasional "blocks" of 1-2 secs (with a Warning 4101 coming out in my event viewer).
    I turned off hardware acceleration on my browser's settings page and I eventually got rid of those warnings.

I'm writing this post hoping it could be useful to someone with the same problem.
--- End quote ---

I did have Firefox running at the time the machine went into Sleep so I'll disable HW Acceleration and see what happens.

Deozaan:
I've also noticed that maybe it has to do with the length of time the computer is sleeping. If I put it to sleep and wake it up immediately, it seems to work just fine in my tests. Sometimes when I put it to sleep and wake it up within about 8-9 hours it works just fine. But if I let it go closer to 12 hours before waking it up again, it seems to fail much more often.

That said, I have never properly logged any of the times or paid close enough attention to say for certain that this pattern is true. It's just what it "feels" or "seems" like to me when I experience it, because sometimes it works fine and other times it fails.

I've just started either leaving it on all night long or shutting it down completely at night, so I don't lose any work in the morning when I attempt to wake it from sleep.

4wd:
Well done Microsoft, second time in less than a week since I installed the Anniversary Update after 12 months of not a single occurance since installing Windows 10.

So, hope for the best, plan for the worst and all that - I've restored the system image I created before I let the Anniversary Update happen.

They can take their Anniversary Update and stick it in a dark place.  :)

Oddly enough, I had a look at the restored System Event Log, not a single Event 4101 to be seen.

And a FYI re. the times my computer sleeps, almost always less than one hour, (over meal times longer than 20 minutes).  System is shut down overnight unless there is a video encode happening.

Deozaan:
I was surprised to receive a notification a day or two ago saying AMD had a driver update for me. I thought, "Wow! They updated their old, discontinued driver to support the Anniversary Update! Nice!"

I let it run its thing and then it told me it was running the latest version after all. :mad:

4wd:
That's because you installed the beta driver, the newer Install Manager for the Radeon Crimson software checks for updates but unfortunately it doesn't seem to take into account what graphics hardware you're running before it does.

I completely removed all AMD software and then reinstalled the latest applicable.

Edit: Had the wrong program referred.

BTW, one thing I also noticed with the Anniversary Update, Windows Defender would no longer do scans in the background, ie. you couldn't close the window as it would say it would cancel the scan ... there's a backward step.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version