ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Outlook is disappointing

<< < (3/7) > >>

oblivion:
My webmail solution of choice, for quite a few years now, has been Fastmail. Their interface / design / ergonomics are lightweight, responsive, efficient and -- in my view -- Just Work. (They were owned by Opera for a while, largely I think because of their massive levels of expertise in making mail fast, simple and efficient, but are independent again now.)

So my various email addresses -- gmail, yahoo, outlook, so forth -- are all fetched from their providers into Fastmail (which also allows me to set aliases to the addresses I own so I don't have to interact with anything I don't enjoy interacting with!)

The downside: although there IS a free offering, you'll probably want one or other of their paid accounts.

The web end is good, they support several forms of 2FA if that's your thing (I have a yubico key but they have several other alternatives) there are mobile apps too... I don't evangelise them as much as I should but I've tried a lot of webmail solutions over the years and nothing else comes close.

And does it matter which browser you use? Apparently not. Fastmail lives up to its name, generally.

dr_andus:
Here's a screen shot
-MilesAhead (August 31, 2016, 08:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Your URL says "outlook.live.com." Could that be the problem? I go in via a Chrome bookmark that has "mail.live.com" as the link and I don't get your problem. Perhaps try changing your link to "mail.live.com" and see what happens (though you might need to log out and clear some cookies--unless the problem is that somewhere within Outlook you have unwittingly opted for that interface? But then there should be an option in Outlook's settings to get out of that).

dr_andus:
P.S. Although I also see in your URL that you're using "owa" (Outlook Web App), which might be another reason you're defaulting to that view.

I also need to use OWA for my work email but I make sure to click "light version" when logging in, as I hate the full version (I found it painfully slow, a terrible drain on productivity).

So if you can't get away from OWA, I suggest you log out, clear your relevant cookies, and then tick the "light version" box.

But OWA is a completely different thing from the live.mail.com (post-Hotmail) interface, AFAIK.

MilesAhead:
@dr_andus the url in the address bar is after redirection.  I never opted for the Outlook interface.  I kept it to hotmail.com as long as possible.  I had to go through a link to restore my password and that was what got me.  The link went through the outlook page.  I had no choice.

For some reason Opera 12.14 can go to hotmail.com and be redirected.  This is the url I end up with in Opera:  outlook.live.com/owa/#wa=wsignin1.0

Except is has the https prefix.  Anyway, Opera goes there and I am in my inbox.  No splash.  No delay.

MilesAhead:
Hmm, perhaps it is a case that the older browser has become "Lite" by today's standards?  I remember sticking with Netscape 6.x because 7.x was so "bloated."  Then years later I tried Netscape 7 I had hanging around and it totally snapped onto the desktop on launch.

I set Opera to open with the Speed Dial.  When I run my hotkey to open Opera in hotmail it snaps open and both the SpeedDial and Inbox are loaded in tabs.  These other browsers, with all the delays and lags, still do not load the tab until you activate it.  What's up with that?

Maybe you guys who don't leave the browsers open all the time would want to give Opera x64 12.14 a shot?  Turn on Turbo Mode and watch your head spin!  :)

Heh!  Get this!  The setup exe for the 64 bit version is only 10 MB!   :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version