ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Outlook is disappointing

<< < (2/7) > >>

MilesAhead:
I don't get that.  Could it be because you have so much spam?  It does process the messages, and when I'd not been using my account for a while, it did that when I first logged in again.  Currently, however, mine goes to a login portal, then directly into my inbox in less than a couple of seconds.
-wraith808 (August 31, 2016, 09:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Opera never goes to the splash screen.  SlimJet, Firefox and k-meleon do.  The amount of mail is not the issue.  If it gets real bad I'll have to bring up Opera but I would rather just use a tab in the browser that is already open.  No big deal.  But it seems like MS has programmers sitting around devising things to waste your time.  Maybe it is one of those marketing things like never having clocks on the wall in supermarkets or department stores.

wraith808:
I guess what I'm saying is that if it does not happen on all platforms, I doubt it's intentional, but there's something behind it.  I just tried on Firefox, and no splash screen.

* wraith808 shrugs

MilesAhead:
I guess what I'm saying is that if it does not happen on all platforms, I doubt it's intentional, but there's something behind it.  I just tried on Firefox, and no splash screen.

* wraith808 shrugs-wraith808 (August 31, 2016, 04:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

What happens is once you log in using the outlook page rather than hotmail, from then on you end up in the new interface no matter where you come from.  But it surprises me that Opera doesn't go there.  Maybe it relies on some feature or capability that did not exist when Opera 12 was coded.  I'm just guessing.  MS definitely wants you to go through the new portal.  Otherwise there would be an Opt Out mechanism in the mailbox display settings.  It probably has to do with hitting you with targeted advertising.

wraith808:

--- End quote ---

What happens is once you log in using the outlook page rather than hotmail, from then on you end up in the new interface no matter where you come from.  But it surprises me that Opera doesn't go there.  Maybe it relies on some feature or capability that did not exist when Opera 12 was coded.  I'm just guessing.  MS definitely wants you to go through the new portal.  Otherwise there would be an Opt Out mechanism in the mailbox display settings.  It probably has to do with hitting you with targeted advertising.

-MilesAhead (August 31, 2016, 04:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

I log in from the outlook page.  I don't get it.  I've never seen that page that you screenshot other than in your screenshot.  I even tried an account that I'd not accessed in a long time that had never used the new UI.  I ended up in the new UI, but never got that loading screen.  If it is targeted advertising, it's a pretty bad job of it.

MilesAhead:

--- End quote ---

-MilesAhead (August 31, 2016, 04:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

I log in from the outlook page.  I don't get it.  I've never seen that page that you screenshot other than in your screenshot.  I even tried an account that I'd not accessed in a long time that had never used the new UI.  I ended up in the new UI, but never got that loading screen.  If it is targeted advertising, it's a pretty bad job of it.

-wraith808 (August 31, 2016, 04:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Quite curious indeed.  :)  I have a hotkey that opens Opera to my outlook mail.  It turns out with Turbo Mode enabled, even if SlimJet is already open, it is faster to hit the hotkey and let Opera open on top and enter my inbox than to open another SlimJet tab to Outlook.  It snaps right open.  I am not really that fond of using Opera.  But since it seems to leap onto the screen I may have to use it more often for some things.  It certainly is fast.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version