ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Guide to Living with Introverts

<< < (2/4) > >>

wraith808:
Let me add a piece that I think is missing from this picture of introversion.  Speaking for myself I have found that "unstructured" socialization can be extremely painful -- things like just sitting around at a dinner party talking to one another about random things.  Whereas structured social activities (board games) are quite fun.  I don't know if that's true for all introverts, so your mileage may vary.
-mouser (August 20, 2016, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

That works for me. If there is a purpose to an interaction, I'm fine ... But trying to  engage in casual conversation (e.g. "Small Talk") I completely short circuit.
-Stoic Joker (August 22, 2016, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Same here.  I didn't even realize what the problem was until my wife pointed it out.  I can't make small talk.  I've tried, but as Stoic said, I completely short circuit.

Stoic Joker:
Let me add a piece that I think is missing from this picture of introversion.  Speaking for myself I have found that "unstructured" socialization can be extremely painful -- things like just sitting around at a dinner party talking to one another about random things.  Whereas structured social activities (board games) are quite fun.  I don't know if that's true for all introverts, so your mileage may vary.
-mouser (August 20, 2016, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

That works for me. If there is a purpose to an interaction, I'm fine ... But trying to  engage in casual conversation (e.g. "Small Talk") I completely short circuit.
-Stoic Joker (August 22, 2016, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Same here.  I didn't even realize what the problem was until my wife pointed it out.  I can't make small talk.  I've tried, but as Stoic said, I completely short circuit.
-wraith808 (August 22, 2016, 09:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

IRL I'm a quiet, stoic, man-of-few-words...and the one question that is most likely to piss me off almost instantly is 'Why don't you smile'. I'm quite happy in my "Little Ball" and if one tries to pry me out of it (e.g. a high energy pest) Shit. Will. Hit. The. Fan... ;) :D

nite_monkey:
I have to agree with the comic, and what mouser added. I am an introvert, and it annoys me to no end when anyone says "you don't talk much." I don't like small talk, however, if we sit down and play a fun board game, I will be more inclined to strike up a conversation with you. I have also found that if I've gotten to know you better, I'll talk to you more. I talk to my best friend all the time, and we have a blast talking about random nonsense. I also have one co-worker who I enjoy joking around with, and time flies by at work with her.

anandcoral:
Thank GOD I am not alone.

I am totally cut off, as said by my friends and relatives. I think it was due to my programming nature, trying to make a code of every problem I face, but can not answer what is happening in the world. Now I can relax, I have "friends" here :)

panzer:

and the one question that is most likely to piss me off almost instantly is 'Why don't you smile'. -Stoic Joker (August 22, 2016, 11:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

or "Why are you so sad?"

I am an introvert, and it annoys me to no end when anyone says "you don't talk much."
-nite_monkey (August 23, 2016, 03:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version