ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Guide to Living with Introverts

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
Nice little cartoon guide to living with Introverts.
It uses an analogy I've seen before, describing extroverts as being recharged by social interaction vs introverts as having to spend energy to engage in social interactions -- which rings true to me (though I don't think it's the whole story).

http://romanjones.deviantart.com/art/How-to-Live-with-Introverts-Guide-Printable-320818879

From http://www.neatorama.com/

mouser:
Let me add a piece that I think is missing from this picture of introversion.  Speaking for myself I have found that "unstructured" socialization can be extremely painful -- things like just sitting around at a dinner party talking to one another about random things.  Whereas structured social activities (board games) are quite fun.  I don't know if that's true for all introverts, so your mileage may vary.

tomos:
here's a bigger (printable) version:
http://romanjones.deviantart.com/art/How-to-Live-with-Introverts-PDF-available-291305760

The energy idea is very interesting. I do get that that some people (try to) steal energy. The 'amn't I great' is one way, the 'poor me' another.

I do remember the introversion topic coming up on dc a good while back and someone seperating the idea of shyness from the idea of introvertedness. I can relate to that because although I'm more of an extrovert, I am also (very often, at any rate) very shy.

Maybe one is nature (introvert/extrovert), the other conditioning of some sort? Not being very articulate here, but thinking that shyness is maybe to do with ways of thinking, probably usually related to what we learned growing up (especially through example). Whereas I presume one can be introverted and just not want to talk to people in many situations, without having to be shy. As someone who at times waffles when nervous/meeting new people, I would have great respect for that (i.e. for being relaxed yet not wanting to say much at that moment and time).

Especially loved part two of the comic: 'How to interact...' :up:

Stoic Joker:
Let me add a piece that I think is missing from this picture of introversion.  Speaking for myself I have found that "unstructured" socialization can be extremely painful -- things like just sitting around at a dinner party talking to one another about random things.  Whereas structured social activities (board games) are quite fun.  I don't know if that's true for all introverts, so your mileage may vary.
-mouser (August 20, 2016, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

That works for me. If there is a purpose to an interaction, I'm fine ... But trying to  engage in casual conversation (e.g. "Small Talk") I completely short circuit.

TucknDar:
So... how about the weather, huh? <-- Me making small talk :-[

Nice guide, btw!  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version