ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Was Firefox 47.0.1 the end of the line for you as well?

<< < (2/7) > >>

CWuestefeld:
I haven't tried this, but our friends at gHacks have an article up describing how to disable Firefox's feature:

The following guide walks you through the steps of overriding the add-on signing enforcement in Firefox Stable and Beta. You will be able to install unsigned add-ons in Firefox versions in which this should not be possible.
--- End quote ---

exjoburger:
Wow Curt, that is an impressive list of addons :Thmbsup:. I'll have to give some of them a try.

I'm on Firefox 48.0 as my primary browser.
I've also tried CyberFox, but I'm finding the update mechanism to be a pain.
Palemoon is quite decent.
I keep an installation of FireFox ESR as a backup, and use the latest PortableApps version so I don't have to mess around with multiple profiles more than necessary.

From the host of other replies, it seems that there are a bunch of options to keep using unsigned addons.

Curt:
Wow Curt, that is an impressive list of addons :Thmbsup:. I'll have to give some of them a try. (...) I'm on Firefox 48.0 as my primary browser. -exjoburger (August 18, 2016, 01:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

impressive or obsessive, I am not too sure. Useful, is the word, I hope.
I have modified the list; now with the proper Mozilla links. But remember, Firefox version 48 will say some of them are outdated.

@IainB, I am slow, but not late!
> right-click > Open With...

@ eleman, tomos and exjoburger (what a name! Did you use to live in Johannesburg?), Thank you for reminding of the ESR version. I am flipping a coin, will do / will not do, right now 47.0.1 will do.

@Shades and CWuestefeld (Post#1,000!!), I am flattered. Just looking at the how-to instructions, made my stomach spin  :-[  Will test some other day...  http://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/14/override-firefox-add-on-signing-requirement/

Thank you for the responses. Due to the addons, I want my local Firefox to stay in the game!

oblivion:
I haven't tried this, but our friends at gHacks have an article up describing how to disable Firefox's feature:

The following guide walks you through the steps of overriding the add-on signing enforcement in Firefox Stable and Beta. You will be able to install unsigned add-ons in Firefox versions in which this should not be possible.
--- End quote ---
-CWuestefeld (August 18, 2016, 12:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
I HAVE tried this, and it works. I don't use many unsigned addons but one that I do -- DownloadStudio -- I sort of rely on, now... and I've invested so much time and effort in getting Firefox "right" that jumping ship is more of a deal for me than just making a decision.

Curt:
-thank you, oblivion!  :up:

So far I have however not found any compelling reason to upgrade from version 47.
but maybe that's me being oblivious

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version