ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Interesting compression ratio difference between file compression tools.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Target:
try it with something other than PDF's. 

My experience indicates that PDF's are not typically compressible, or at least not significantly so...

IainB:
^^That may well be the case, but it's only PDF files that I want to zip up!    :huh:

Shades:
At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, here goes:
I manage a total of 28 Oracle DB's and 5 MS-SQL DB's which I regularly make dump files from. Most are around 100GByte in size, but some are close to 1TByte. So you hopefully can understand that the rate of compression really matters. Not only for storage, but also for transfer speed 7-zip is much better than zip for my use case.

The dump files I create are a maximum of 4GByte in size and 7-zip often reduces those files to 200MByte. Zip doesn't even come close. Rar is quite a lot better zip, but it can't match the brute force of 7-zip either. Besides, I have all this scripted, so it is really turning it on at night and being greeted by archived (and backed up) dump files including MD5 hashtags for verification in the morning.

Target is right about PDFs. The same can be said for .xlsx, .docx etc., which are in essence already zipped when you save those types of documents. But text-based log files of several Gigabytes in size, 7-zip often reduces those to only several Megabytes. And its hardly slower than zip when doing so.

Ah well, to each their own.  :)

Mark0:
Lots of compressors compared here: http://www.squeezechart.com/

Stoic Joker:
^^That may well be the case, but it's only PDF files that I want to zip up!    :huh:
-IainB (August 16, 2016, 07:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Have you considered optimizing them first? I've gotten exceptional results using NXPowerLite on PDF's to reduce their size by upwards of 70% without appreciable quality loss. After that kind of treatment it shouldn't matter much what you zip them with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version