topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 12:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What do you know about couchsurfing  (Read 2861 times)

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What do you know about couchsurfing
« on: July 09, 2006, 07:53 PM »
The other day I read this newsticker message from heise.de(German) and thought that couch surfing might be a cool way to travel and find a cheap&nice place to stay.

After I read that the rescue mission was successful I signed up and filled out a great part of my profile. Now, these guys are still recovering so I didn't expect everything to work supersmoothly. But I cannot find a forum of any sort on their site, maybe I am just overlooking something, maybe they don't want a forum, maybe they'll add it later.

I tried to chat. But they use some bloody stupidnot-so-cool flash movie as chat application. Macromedia was kind enough to develop a flash plug-in for my fringe group browser on my fringe group operating system; this plug-in is not as good as the one for the windows platform: sometimes I cannot read text, sometimes I don't see anything at all, always it uses a lot of CPU time. So, I couldn't chat with the other users, and I sure do love chatting.

Now I am asking you: do you have experience with couch surfing, hosting; have you used their "service" or do you know of other, similar sites? Do you perhaps know some of the users/admins/founders; did you use the old system and could tell me if there was a forum? Do they have an irc server, or a channel on some existing network?

edit: misspelled word corrected (hat instead of chat)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 03:02 PM by housetier »

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What do you know about couchsurfing
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 03:13 PM »
hadez received an email regarding these questions; actually the sender referred to this very post. Now I know a little bit more about couchsurfing.com

What I don't know: why in the world did that person send an email to hadez and not to me?

I thought I had unhidden my email in my profile.