ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Vopt 9 defragger free

<< < (4/5) > >>

MilesAhead:
Too bad he didn't go all the way and made it open-source, not just gratis :)

Of course, with SSD hard disks most of the above has become a moot point, accessing fragmented or defragmented files on a SSD hard disk hardly makes any difference in time and are much faster than on a standard spinning hard disk anyway.  Still, the added bonuses from strictly separating files are still valid.-Shades (August 12, 2016, 10:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
Would be interesting to see some benchmarks on this. I guess that if the fragments aren't smaller than the SSDs page size, you won't be able to measure a speed difference.
-f0dder (August 13, 2016, 02:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

I notice some defraggers have an "SSD mode."  I wonder if it is merely marketing though.

wraith808:
Too bad he didn't go all the way and made it open-source, not just gratis :)

Of course, with SSD hard disks most of the above has become a moot point, accessing fragmented or defragmented files on a SSD hard disk hardly makes any difference in time and are much faster than on a standard spinning hard disk anyway.  Still, the added bonuses from strictly separating files are still valid.-Shades (August 12, 2016, 10:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
Would be interesting to see some benchmarks on this. I guess that if the fragments aren't smaller than the SSDs page size, you won't be able to measure a speed difference.
-f0dder (August 13, 2016, 02:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wonder if that is because it would have taken work to get it to the point where it could be released as such.

f0dder:
I notice some defraggers have an "SSD mode."  I wonder if it is merely marketing though.-MilesAhead (August 13, 2016, 08:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes and no :-)
Just like everybody added "32" and "64" to their application names when those platforms were new, adding "SSD" to disk/filesystem utilities is a thing.

There's some valid things a defragger could do with SSD in mind, though. Like being less aggressive in consolidating fragments - it's not as necessary on SSDs as HDDs, and you want to minimize writes. Not sure if applications can control TRIM or if that's solely handled by the filesystem drivers, but that might be a thing as well.

Yep, pure speculation :)

I wonder if that is because it would have taken work to get it to the point where it could be released as such.-wraith808 (August 13, 2016, 10:17 AM)
--- End quote ---
Good point.
While there might not be a lot to be embarassed at at that point in life, there could be 3rd-party code with licenses that aren't OS-friendly. A code dump without 3rd-party stuff that doesn't compile could be useful in and by itself, but it would require work to do... and that's probably not what you want to spend your final days on.

IainB:
By the way, whilst Vopt seemed to work OK, I have also recently downloaded, installed and tried out UltraDefrag, but I uninstalled it due to its persistent hanging/freezing permanently. Bit of a disappointment, that. I had thought it looked like it might have had quite a good potential.

MilesAhead:
By the way, whilst Vopt seemed to work OK, I have also recently downloaded, installed and tried out UltraDefrag, but I uninstalled it due to its persistent hanging/freezing permanently. Bit of a disappointment, that. I had thought it looked like it might have had quite a good potential.
-IainB (August 15, 2016, 08:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I tried that one and removed it too a few months back. On another forum someone raved about it.  But it does no good if it works great on their system and not yours.  :)  It seems with spinner HD there are still incompatibilities that crop up even if the basic technology is Sata II or III.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version