ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Vopt 9 defragger free

<< < (3/5) > >>

wraith808:
I use defraggler when I'm inclined to defrag.  Which is almost never these days.

MilesAhead:
I use defraggler when I'm inclined to defrag.  Which is almost never these days.
-wraith808 (August 12, 2016, 08:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I can only defrag when RollbackRX is uninstalled.  If I have installed a few programs and want to get them into my Macrium image I remove RBRX, do disk maintenance and imaging. Then I reinstall RBRX.

I do a Macrium incremental backup.  Usually it only takes 2 minutes.  But I noticed after the defrag with Vopt it took about 20 minutes.  Maybe next time I will back up the image first, then defrag.  After all, if things go well I won't be restoring the image.  Just running CCleaner right before the image backup is probably the best approach.

Speaking of rollback software, I just found out in my Computer Repair class last night that the machines in the classroom all have a deep freeze software installed.  I mean these IT guys must read magazines all day because they sure don't let any changes accrue on these PCs.  The student accounts amount to guest accounts.  When you log off everything you put on is gone.  They probably power down after an inactive period.  Then when they are powered back up the frozen image is laid back on.  Talk about zero delta!!  Wow!!

Shades:
On the subject of measuring differences between defraggers:
First start with a bit of a (simplified) background. On Windows it is quite safe to say that the NTFS file system is used the most. Commonly in Linux that would be a heir of the EXT2 file system (EXT3 / EXT4). The base of both file systems exists already for a long, long time. By design the NTFS file system places files on a hard disk in close groups. The design behind EXT2/3/4 file systems leave a lot more "distance" between files on a hard disk.

Imagine a fresh installation of Windows and Linux, each on its own PC, which are the same in every other hardware aspect. Both run fine as long as there are not much files added or removed. And NTFS will have a minor speed advantage over EXT2/3/4 in this particular scenario.

However, after installing programs and the ongoing processing of data/temporary files you will see that all files are getting fragmented much quicker and more severely with the NTFS file system than with the EXT2/3/4 file systems. Leaving "expansion room" between files has beneficial effects on a computer that is actively doing the task(s) it is setup to do. And it gives the user the impression that there is no fragmentation on EXT2/3/4 file systems (which is not true at all). In this scenario the speed advantage goes to EXT2/3/4.

When the hard disk from each PC has less than 10% of free space left, both NTFS and EXT2/3/4 will have matching performance that is quit bad.

So far the simplified background.

The defragger that comes as default with Windows doesn't have too much settings (regarding placement of files) for you to adjust. So if you want to have the advantages of "expansion room" between files, you cannot really rely on the Windows defragger, as it will do its best to give you the best performance it can with a relatively close knitted group of files. And after it finishes the counter is set to 0% (ideally). And the user is under the impression that files are not fragmented.

Other defragmentation software is bound to use the API calls as the Windows defragger does, but most will give you more options regarding the placement of files on the hard disk and which other optimizations should be applied.

Honestly, since Windows 7 the Windows defragger does an adequate job. But for some not enough, hence there still are quite some 3rd party defraggers out. Some would even argue that using a "better" defragger is just an opinion.

Personally, I don't think that is true. Then again, my opinions regarding file placement and optimizations (in a nutshell: Windows itself, programs, (user) data files and temporary files, each stored in their separate partition) are more extreme. In that separation scenario a lot of file fragmentation is completely eliminated, no matter which defragmentation software and/or optimization schemes you plan to use.

I even dare to say that with a strict separation scheme, you'll extend the operational lifetime of your hard disk extensively as you keep the need for defragmentation to an absolute minimum. After all Windows by default does a weekly defragmentation to give the user the impression that Windows hardly fragments files.

Added bonuses of the strict separation scheme are: you'll have an easier time keeping your (user) data safe from almost any operating system mishap and it makes backups much easier too.

Of course, with SSD hard disks most of the above has become a moot point, accessing fragmented or defragmented files on a SSD hard disk hardly makes any difference in time and are much faster than on a standard spinning hard disk anyway.  Still, the added bonuses from strictly separating files are still valid.

f0dder:
Too bad he didn't go all the way and made it open-source, not just gratis :)

Of course, with SSD hard disks most of the above has become a moot point, accessing fragmented or defragmented files on a SSD hard disk hardly makes any difference in time and are much faster than on a standard spinning hard disk anyway.  Still, the added bonuses from strictly separating files are still valid.-Shades (August 12, 2016, 10:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
Would be interesting to see some benchmarks on this. I guess that if the fragments aren't smaller than the SSDs page size, you won't be able to measure a speed difference.

IainB:
Too bad he didn't go all the way and made it open-source, not just gratis :) ...
-f0dder (August 13, 2016, 02:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, that's exactly what I thought at the time I read the post on his website.
He probably had his reasons, but I did wonder what they might have been.

As for defragging, I tend to prefer to have it scheduled to run at a certain threshold percentage level of fragmentation. (Fire and forget.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version