ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

A way to add indexing for mapped network drives to Windows 10 Home

<< < (2/3) > >>

skwire:
I just add the UNC path of the network share I want to index, eg. Everything runs on my computer and indexes a share on my WHS2011 machine, so the index is available even when the server is offline, (it's only on 3 hours a day).-4wd (August 04, 2016, 12:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Doh, I should have mentioned that I use that feature, too, for computers where I have shares...uhh...shared.  Good stuff, that Everything app.  Love it.

4wd:

I just add the UNC path of the network share I want to index, eg. Everything runs on my computer and indexes a share on my WHS2011 machine, so the index is available even when the server is offline, (it's only on 3 hours a day).-4wd (August 04, 2016, 12:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't that cheating?-MilesAhead (August 04, 2016, 07:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

OK, I'll bite ... why?

Try to get a personal/corporate search engine to index all the documents and offer those results in a webpage accessible to the user. If the user then clicks on the link to the file, the document should automatically open in the defined application on the system they currently work on.-Shades (August 03, 2016, 08:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I also do that in Everything by enabling its HTTP server.

Shades:
Oops, wasn't even aware that Everything comes with HTTP server functionality. Ah well, live and learn.  :)

MilesAhead:
OK, I'll bite ... why?

-4wd (August 04, 2016, 10:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

I should have put a rolling on floor laughing smiley.  But if the solution is too easy we all know it is not allowed on Windows.  :)

questorfla:
Looks like I asked a bad question?  If is a valid one unfortunately and can be checked on Google.  I am not the only one who has had problems like this and there are several 'fixes" offered

On our network the users have access to a shared folder on a file storage system.   That folder is mapped to a drive letter
(R:)  on the User's' systems.  If a User needs to find and open a file on the R: drive, it takes a LOT longer than it should. The only possible reason would be if the mapped network address is not in the indices (which it isn't).  The green "searching for that file" line just creeps across the screen taking up to 3 minutes to scan all 40K files.

The workstations all run Windows Home which offers no support for Offline files.  If it did, this solves the problem pretty quickly. I was able to look that fact up on the MS Sites.  But.  No solution is given for adding 40,000 filenames to the index on a workstation that is on the Windows HOME OS.

Utilities like Everything work great except for the fact that it isn't linked to the Windows index in any way and WORD, Excel , etc Are.  I agree that I can run Masterseeker or many other "External Utilities" to find a file instantly but the Users Need to be ale to do this from within WORD or other windows software as a component of the software not as an external utility

The really odd part is that this has not been a problem until maybe a few weeks .  Also, after some tinkering with settings, I was able to get things to work normally again but by then I had tried too many options to know which one may have worked.

Today, Windows 10 Update ran.  As soon as the system came back online, the problem is back again.
When working properly, if you open word and click the search option top right and type in a few letters you get results almost immediately.  When not working properly, you get a green bar that says 'searching" that takes what seems forever.

For a better explanation see https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS654US654&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=search%20for%20a%20file%20with%20word%20takes%20a%20long%20time%20on%20network%20drives&oq=search%20for%20a%20file%20with%20word%20takes%20a%20long%20time%20on%20network%20drives&aqs=chrome..69i57.13655j0j8

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version