ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

A way to add indexing for mapped network drives to Windows 10 Home

(1/3) > >>

questorfla:
This is probably one of those "can't be done" things but I have to ask.
I know there are multiple utilities like Master-seeker and Everything and Ultrasearch just to name a few that are excellent at this but none of them works native to windows in such a way that when a User needs to open a file stored on a mapped drive letter using a Windows program (Word, or most anything that offer so search for files to open) the "search" are "browse" function uses Windows Indexing and is so slow that the progress-bar looks like pouring Syrup on a Winter Morning.

I can use many utilities to find the same file almost instantaneous but the programs being used apparently can only deal with Native Indexing in Windows.

I need this to work on some systems that only have Windows 10 HOME.  No Sync/Offline file functions are not available (unless there is a patch I have not yet found).  I had read that adding the mapped drive to a library can force it be indexed but that option is not available for network drives.

If there is a utility that can make windows treat the mapped drive like a local drive that is the only thing I can think of to get the Windows index to include it.  The Mapped drive has many thousand documents on it that have to be used in various programs.  Currently, unless the user navigates to the 3rd sub-level where the file they want is located before they begin the search it can take up to 3-4 minutes or even longer to search for a specific filename to pop-up

Shades:
Try to get a personal/corporate search engine to index all the documents and offer those results in a webpage accessible to the user. If the user then clicks on the link to the file, the document should automatically open in the defined application on the system they currently work on.

That looks like the easiest way to go about it.

Problem is the search engine. IBM (in cooperation with Yahoo) made one available for free some years back. If you install it on the system that stores these documents your users need access to, you also have the accessible webpage as well. Not sure if there was a file and/or size limit anymore...it has been a couple of years since. :-[   Only thing is that I used it myself and worked well.

There might be some newer ones for you to use. But if there aren't, try to look for: OmniFind and see if you can download it (and try at home or something to see if it is of any use for you).

If memory serves me right, there used to be an older SharePoint server that Microsoft made available for free. That could be another way to tackle your problem.

For what it is worth, I never liked the Windows Indexing feature. Too slow, too cumbersome and not too workable with files stored on the network. At the time I jumped for joy when I could lay my paws on the OmniFind search engine.

Collecting those files in one location makes it (much) easier to backup or even apply versioning if you would be so inclined.   

skwire:
I know there are multiple utilities like Master-seeker and Everything and Ultrasearch just to name a few that are excellent at this but none of them works native to windows in such a way that when a User needs to open a file stored on a mapped drive letter using a Windows program-questorfla (August 03, 2016, 04:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I use Everything on all my Windows computers and make use of the ETP server option when I need to find something on another computer.  For all intents and purposes, it's as fast as using Everything right on the box.  You can find the feature under the Tools > Connect to ETP Server menu.  Of course, you will need to enable the ETP server in Everything's options first (on the computer you want to connect to).  If you can't figure it out, let me know.

4wd:
I use Everything on all my Windows computers and make use of the ETP server option when I need to find something on another computer.  For all intents and purposes, it's as fast as using Everything right on the box.  You can find the feature under the Tools > Connect to ETP Server menu.  Of course, you will need to enable the ETP server in Everything's options first (on the computer you want to connect to).  If you can't figure it out, let me know.-skwire (August 04, 2016, 12:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just add the UNC path of the network share I want to index, eg. Everything runs on my computer and indexes a share on my WHS2011 machine, so the index is available even when the server is offline, (it's only on 3 hours a day).

A way to add indexing for mapped network drives to Windows 10 Home

MilesAhead:

I just add the UNC path of the network share I want to index, eg. Everything runs on my computer and indexes a share on my WHS2011 machine, so the index is available even when the server is offline, (it's only on 3 hours a day).

[ Invalid Attachment ]
-4wd (August 04, 2016, 12:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't that cheating?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version