ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Toying with TheBat! - any plugin suggestions?

(1/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I am getting increasingly fed up with the flakiness of MS Outlook XP (it seems to frequently freeze on me and has done for quite some time) and so I decided to toy with TheBat! for a while and see if I like it or not ... at the moment it all feels a bit strange and awkward and I keep retreating back to Outlook (I set TheBat! to leave all my messages on the server so that I could play without being stuck with mail in two programs).

Curiosity - what plugins do people use?

I found BayesIt (installed with the trial version) and activated that but is there any way to configure it or train it? Any other antispam plugin suggestions?

Does BayesIT! filter automatically after install or does it have to learn? One thing I did notice is that if I mark a message as Junk (which I found tucked away in a menu - not the best place IMHO) it is moved to the junk folder - but if I mark an email in the Junk forlder as 'not junk' nothing appears to happen.

How about AV plugins? Do you actually need one with NOD32 running in the background or am I missing something (there seems to be a lot confused and argumentative discussion on WidersSecurity Forums on this issue but no clear answer)?

Any other plugins worth looking at?

Finally if I get to like the Bat how do I import my mail from OutlookXP? There doesn't appear (at first glance anyway) to be an obvious way to do this as it doesn't seem to support PST files?

mouser:
the one plugin i use:
https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Jibz/Piper/index.html
i use it in conjunction with:
https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/TheFormLetterMachine/index.html

Carol Haynes:
Thanks.

How do I get HTML messages to display properly? I am trying to read a newspaper HTML digest but none of the images display at all (just rectangles with a small red cross).

I found a NOD32 plugin on the Bat website but I am not sure what it does that NOD32 doesn't do any way? (Before installing the plugin email was obviously filtered by NOD32 as all the mail had the NOD32 banner note at the bottom).

mouser:

re: nod32 - i have same feelings - what's the point, the antivirus is scanning files anyway..
regarding html: i have to admit that i keep my viewier in text mode normally, so i can't help with that.  if i had to guess i'd say that the images used in the mail are online and not included with the mail, and that thebat is refusing to download them.  may be an option for it.

kimmchii:
any reason you dont use Outlook Express?
it works well for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version