ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

A good idea for web designers and site admins - Mirror your Site

<< < (2/3) > >>

housetier:
I use phpmyadmin and full dumps.

The databases do not need to be synched at all times, that is too risky. So I check "yes these should indeed be synched" or "hm no too much spam". Surely, a script that automates the task would help a lot, but I haven't written one yet.

jjc:
There is a hosting source for those of you who use Linux/APACHE/MYSQL/PHP that is really affordable.

You can bid on it on eBay(TM). Here is the link.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZgoohostwebhostingQQhtZ-1

I was able to pick up a year of unlimited hosting for $2.11 US. (You might be able to do better if you are patient.)

The Control Panel is minimalistic, but the system does work.

I picked an extra domain name, and I am learning how to use Mambo(TM).

I was even able to get Moodle(TM) to run on this site, and I am not a programmer.

This seems like a cheap way to learn. I have learned a lot in the past three days from playing with this.

I purchased this hosting to use for hands-on workshops, so I wouldn't have participants trashing a real site.

app103:
You could use what I use for hosting:

http://www.electedhosting.com

select Unix Shared Web Hosting on the page.

Unlimited Hosting Plan:

* Space: Unlimited MB
* Monthly Transfer: Unlimited MB
* Ads Displayed: None
* Email Accounts: Unlimited
* Sub Domains: Unlimited
* FTP Accounts: Unlimited
* Add-On Domains: Unlimited
* MySQL Databases: Unlimited
* Fantastico: Yes
* cPanel: Yes
* Site Stats: Yes
* Web Mail: Yes
* CGI/Perl: Yes
* PHP/MySQL: Yes
* Flash Support: Yes
* FrontPage Extensions: Yes
* Price: $18.00/Year or $1.50/month
* Payment method: Paypal
I have been very happy with them. I haven't had a problem with them since I started using them back in February of this year.

One thing though...if you are going to put any .mp3 files on your site (like podcasts) it won't work out very well...you have to zip .mp3 files or they are automatically deleted.

jjc:
The Elected Hosting looks like a great resource for backing up a few sites. And the interface is much fancier than the GooHost solution.

Of course, the Elected Hosting solution costs 853% more for the first year than what I paid using the eBay(TM) auction. And, you should be able to get one of these GooHost accounts for much less than the $2.11 US that I paid for the entire year. I was in a hurry to test, and wasn't worried about saving a dollar.

This Elected Hosting solution has the following limits:

Subdomains - 10
Parked Domains - 1
Addon Domains - 5
MySQL Databases - 5

The GooHost solution has the following:

Subdomains  - Unlimited
Parked Domains N/A
Addon Domains - Unlimited
MySQL Databases - Unlimited

However, each Moodle(TM) workshop that runs at the Texas Computer Education Association (TCEA) Convention, I will need at least 17 subdomains, each running its own instance of Moodle(TM), each with its own MYSQL database.

The only catch? After the first year, if you don't win another auction, the cost would jump to about $100 US.

But, the TCEA Convention is next February, so a second year doesn't matter to me. I am going to kill all the subdomains after the classes, anyway.

"Cheap" was the most important consideration, but, this solution may be better lif ong-term stability is more important.

"EasY" was also important. This unlimted domain, unlimited subdomain account saved me from having to build a server and carry it to the class.

app103:
I don't have any limits with Elected Hosting. I posted the terms of my account in my post. That is what I pay...and that is what I get...just as I posted it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version