ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

how should I roll back java?

<< < (5/7) > >>

holt:
Tnx, I already downloaded service pack3 from major geeks, then ran a 45-part and 83-part update series of updates without a hitch, then successfully installed my Norton antiV.
So the laptop EIDE HD connector should match the desktop cable?
I wonder if my 10/100 ethernet card could be replaced with a faster one from another dead newer desktop.
The mobo is a SiS-661GX, with a celeron 2.66GHz; could the cpu be upgraded?

holt:
I forget the name of that vid player that uses an orange and white road safety traffic cone for its icon?

ConstanceJill:
I forget the name of that vid player that uses an orange and white road safety traffic cone for its icon?
-holt (September 16, 2016, 08:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
VLC ?

holt:
VLC
-ConstanceJill (September 16, 2016, 08:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes! Tnx.

Shades:
SiS....that is more or less the "bottom of the barrel" brand for computer hardware. Looking for SiS-661GX, Google gives me this. So that is not the brand of your computer, it is the chipset. And that chipset is commonly used on motherboards with CPU socket 775. This is a very, very old type of processor (Pentium 4 class). I certainly hope that you didn't buy this computer, but that you got it as a present.

Now I know the brand of your motherboard and the CPU socket, I wouldn't upgrade your CPU even if you had that option as I expect the functional life of this computer to be (very) short. Especially with a SiS chipset. That would be a serious waste of money.

It is usually not a problem to buy a new network card and use that instead of the onboard one. 10/100 is more than enough for most use-cases for a internet connection at home. Getting a new faster network card just to connect to internet won't make a difference. That is, if the one you have still functions ok. New network cards hardly cost anything, You should be able to get a decent brand network card under 10 USD. Intel is the most stable/best brand and you are likely to get one of those on eBay or web store for that price.

I think we are getting a bit side-tracked here at this thread  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version