ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

BrowserSelect - mini mini review.

<< < (2/3) > >>

MilesAhead:
Related but different, from MilesAhead (I haven't used it):
-tomos (July 26, 2016, 10:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hey tomos.  :)

Thanks for mentioning it.  The main thing holding me back is struggling with the List management.
Filtering the history as every character is typed into the input is just too busy.  I may steal code from FolderCache and just have it so that the list may be sorted MRU or alpha.  The ListBox seems a really touchy object.  Doing things that seem simple make it prone to crashing.  But eventually I should get it in a usable shape.

About a year ago I toyed with the idea of having BrowserBunch become the "default browser" so that clicking on a link would let you choose a browser auto-magically.  But the registry stuff is a nightmare.  I guarantee tangling with the registry settings is more time than coding the UI and browser launching.  Besides, from the review, I could not likely improve on the mechanism used by Browser Select.  Instead I am trying to make it simple to select url or search text most anywhere and conveniently put it into a browser selection utility.  Eliminating the manual copy/paste speeds it up and removes most of the tedium.

I'll post another version once I get the ListBox stuff reworked.  :)

Eventually I will whip it into shape.  :)

Edit:  I have worked on the program and stabilized it quite a bit.  You can download 1.4.0.0 attachment from this post

Meanwhile I think I may try BrowserSelect and see how the two play together.  :)

MilesAhead:
@Armando I see the bit about rules to bypass Browser Select and go right to the chosen browser.  But did you run across a key bypass?  Like hold down shift while launching to go to default browser or whatever?  There doesn't seem to be a forum on github or I am just not familiar with using it.

Armando:
But did you run across a key bypass?
-MilesAhead (July 28, 2016, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't think about that, good idea.
I'm sure you could bring it up as a suggestions in the issues. The developer is pretty responsive.

MilesAhead:
But did you run across a key bypass?
-MilesAhead (July 28, 2016, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't think about that, good idea.
I'm sure you could bring it up as a suggestions in the issues. The developer is pretty responsive.
-Armando (July 28, 2016, 10:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks.  I like the program so far.  The only "issue" I have seen is that running it from the command line it seems to want you to put the http:// stuff in.  Most browsers these days if you just type domain.com it brings it up.  But for clicking on a saved link it doesn't matter.

Armando:
The only "issue" I have seen is that running it from the command line it seems to want you to put the http:// stuff in.  Most browsers these days if you just type domain.com it brings it up.
-MilesAhead (July 29, 2016, 07:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good point. This could certainly be mentioned too.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version