ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Chrome, your friendly spyware browser

<< < (3/4) > >>

Deozaan:
Just as a matter of interest, isn't Chrome based on Chromium?

Would it not be better, (as in less tracking, etc), to use Chromium?-4wd (July 19, 2016, 06:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes Chrome is based on Chromium. Just because it's open source, doesn't mean it doesn't have tracking. Doesn't Firefox have tracking?

But maybe I misunderstood what Chromium is all about. I always thought Google made Chromium, too, but it was a version with less branding or proprietary parts so Linux users could use it. But now that I'm typing that "out loud" it doesn't seem to make sense. Time to look deeper into Chromium!

3. In my experience, Google products are some of the best, most convenient to use.
-Deozaan (July 19, 2016, 04:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Google tends to dump products which don't make them enough money though. Remember Google Reader, the only Google product I've ever used despite of the already existing alternatives?
-Tuxman (July 19, 2016, 07:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. And since the loss of Google Reader, I just stopped using RSS feeds altogether, having never found anything as convenient. Which isn't to say that I looked very hard, or for very long. But I tried out a few alternatives and nothing suited me. I intended to wait a little while until a good alternative was made or discovered, but eventually I kind of forgot about it and never bothered looking into it again.

Tuxman:
Newsblur is great. Other than that, I host a public Tiny Tiny RSS instance with a couple of skins, plug-ins and users, just in case.

Deozaan:
I always thought Google made Chromium, too, but it was a version with less branding or proprietary parts so Linux users could use it.-Deozaan (July 19, 2016, 01:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

I just looked more into Chromium. The blog is the Chrome blog. Any link from the Chromium website to a stable version of the browser just takes me to a download for Chrome. The link to the development version of Chromium takes me to development versions of Chrome. As I suspected, they are essentially the same browser, made by the same people. I'm not sure why Chromium is "for Linux" and Chrome is for Windows/MacOS but as far as I can tell, there is no Chromium browser for Windows, other than possibly unstable builds.

MilesAhead:
Just as a matter of interest, isn't Chrome based on Chromium?

Would it not be better, (as in less tracking, etc), to use Chromium?

I don't use either, hence the question.was

-4wd (July 19, 2016, 06:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, chromium is the open source browser that is the basis of google chrome.  For a couple of years I used chromium portable snapshots.  It loaded quickly and was very fast.  The original issue that made me aware of it was that google chrome had a unique identifier that was accessible to the web server when you used chrome.  So other flavors of chrome such as SRWare Iron started popping up that did not have this ID built in.  After finding some extensions did not work as I wanted with the Iron flavor I figured I would go right to the horse's mouth and use chromium.  It was fine for a couple of years.  Then I started having issues.  I forget what they were now.  The upshot was I went back to Firefox.

Now Firefox is such a dog off the disk that I use SlimJet(yet another chrome flavor) as my default.  I was on the chromium email list for a while.  But it became obvious they were going in a direction I did not like and they were not going to turn off the road because of my objections.  The usual plot starring Peter Lorre.  For a time chromium portable snapped off the disk and roared.  But then the inevitable code bloat ensued.

TimmyMouse:
Yep........ I know cHrome is a spyware browser but can't help using it.  :( It's so convenient for searching and surfing web.
I haven't used FF for 5 years but now i use it quite often for my work.
I think IE is still the most secured web browser, rignt?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version