ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Chrome, your friendly spyware browser

<< < (2/4) > >>

4wd:
I think what he means is, if you're signed into Google (or even not signed in probably) and using Google's Chrome browser, how are you going to stop the browser from reporting to Google everything you've been doing?

This isn't a case of a website tracking you, now it's the program you are using.

It may even be the case that the browser logs everything you do until the next time you log into your account, then sends it.

Not sure uBlock or DisconnectMe are going to help you much since so many sites now rely on something from Google that in a large number of cases they fail to work properly unless a connection to Google is allowed.

wraith808:
I never log into google, and use disconnected search also.

Deozaan:
1. That picture is cropped in such a way as to make it look like you either have no choice in the matter or that it's opt-out. It's actually opt-in, as shown here: https://twitter.com/masohnry/status/755178336691884032

2. In my experience, targeted advertising is so bad--as in wrong and not at all aligned with my interests--that it almost might as well not be targeted. It just sucks. I'm with this guy: https://twitter.com/bobajeff82/status/754831240637902848

3. In my experience, Google products are some of the best, most convenient to use. If their products weren't so great I'd have a harder time dumping them because of crap like this (spyware). I'd really like to use products with comparable features, but without the tracking/spyware.

4wd:
I never log into google, and use disconnected search also.-wraith808 (July 18, 2016, 07:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't the problem now though, that it doesn't really matter whether you use Disconnected Search or not, the possibility exists that whatever you've typed/looked at/etc is now tracked by your browser.  Whether or not that info ends up at Google by some way or another isn't the real issue as I see it, just as Windows 10 has become all invasive so it seems has Chrome.

I'd really like to use products with comparable features, but without the tracking/spyware.-Deozaan (July 19, 2016, 04:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just as a matter of interest, isn't Chrome based on Chromium?

Would it not be better, (as in less tracking, etc), to use Chromium?

I don't use either, hence the question.

Tuxman:
3. In my experience, Google products are some of the best, most convenient to use.
-Deozaan (July 19, 2016, 04:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Google tends to dump products which don't make them enough money though. Remember Google Reader, the only Google product I've ever used despite of the already existing alternatives?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version