ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

recommendations for a free web host

<< < (2/3) > >>

Tuxman:
Free web hosts suck. All of them.

4wd:
Or if you want something a little more involved you can always get a cheap deal on a VPS and run your own web server, which is what I do for my own static sites.

Or possibly get some use out of that RasPi ;-)

Target:
Personally I'd look for non-free but cheap. I simply don't trust "free".

A local sporting club might not have a big budget, but wouldn't something like $10/month be possible? That would probably get you pretty far - might even get real support and working backups.-f0dder (July 16, 2016, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

could be, but at the moment I don't even really know what I should be looking for.  The club <i>had</i> a site, but they let it lapse (through inattention), so they pretty much have no public face (and they really need to promote themselves a bit)

Or if you want something a little more involved you can always get a cheap deal on a VPS and run your own web server, which is what I do for my own static sites.

Or possibly get some use out of that RasPi ;-)-4wd (July 16, 2016, 07:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

this is a good solution, but it needs to be transferrable, ie I can't guarantee that there will always be someone that can manage it (assuming I can :huh:)

Free web hosts suck. All of them.-Tuxman (July 16, 2016, 06:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

really struggling to see the value here.  If you really want to contribute, tell me what you're experience is, with who, and why that wasn't good.  And while you're a it, some positive stories would be useful too (you must have some).  If you can do that then maybe I can learn something...

michaelkenward:
What would the website hold?

Does it need to be a full-blown site or a blog that you can tweak to say what you want?

You can do quite a bit with something like WordPress:

https://wordpress.com/

And that costs nothing.

If you want to go paid, some will let you get started with a minimal site that costs nothing and then let you upgrade as you grow into it.

wraith808:
What would the website hold?

Does it need to be a full-blown site or a blog that you can tweak to say what you want?

You can do quite a bit with something like WordPress:

https://wordpress.com/

And that costs nothing.

If you want to go paid, some will let you get started with a minimal site that costs nothing and then let you upgrade as you grow into it.

-michaelkenward (July 18, 2016, 04:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 for wordpress.  And you can move to self-hosted later if you need to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version