ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Stumbleupon - better pass your time on the web

(1/4) > >>

housetier:
Where can I find it?

Here is the website of stumbleupon.

How does it look?

The guys from stumbleupon have created a bunch of screenshots, so I wouldn't have to make my own.

Uhm, WHAT is it?

StumbleUpon helps you discover and share great websites. As you click  Stumble!, you'll get high-quality pages matched to your personal preferences. These pages have been explicitly recommended (rated I like it) by friends and other SU members with similar interests. Rating these sites shares them with your friends and peers – you will automatically 'stumble upon' each others favorites sites.-http://www.stumbleupon.com/about.html
--- End quote ---

and what makes this better then any other service of this kind?

To be frank, I don't know of any service, but maybe these should be listed or even reviewed here as well. I can't say if it is better or worse.

Why do you bother us with this then?

It actually lets you stumble upon interesting websites! Yes, there have been a few that weren't interesting or great at all. This is expected, since a person's interests can vary by the minute, one shouldn't place to much value on accuracy.

I see stumbleupon as a great way to pass time. Just click the green/blue ball and see where it takes you. I don't see this a marketing tool like digg or so.

What makes you use it? What makes you recommend it?

It is easy to install, easy to use; it does not distract the user, and it stays out of the way.

* easy to install: the "sign up" button sends you a mozilla site or extensions. This makes installation easy, because https://addons.mozilla.org/ usually is allowed to install extensions; other sites would have to be allowed first. This makes installation both easy and quick. The installation of the extenstion automatically signs you up on the website, you do not need to fill out any extra forms.

* easy to use: one click to rate sites, one click to stumble upon the next site, one click to tag a site, on click to see what others had to say, one click... you get the picture. What I also like is the fact that it opens pages in a new tab when I click the buttons with the middle mouse button - just like I would click on links. You won't even have to learn to operate a new program!

* does not distract: stumbleupon does not popup anything, no bubbles, windows, messages; it does not blink nor flash, nor does it play any sounds. It does not annoy you when you don't need it. It is there when you need it, it stays away when your attention is on other things.

* stays out of the way: the extension had me when I say I could put it in the menu bar! That means, it doesn't even require an extra toolbar, sidebar or whatever-bar. It does not waste "real estate" which is important to me

Where's the hook?

If you are not careful, you might waste a lot of time stumbling about the web... :D

My Impression

To me this extension is useful (sort of guide through the web), it does look mature. I mean it works just like that, no need to fiddle with anything, no about:config-hacks; just: install - use. This appeals to the technical side of me ;) Hmmm how should I put it, it's solid.

I recommend you try it out, only if you have time to browse the web! If you don't have time to play, don't play.

So far I have used only the most basic functions, there are a few buttons I haven't clicked to see what they do.

CGA:
"Opera not supported" :down:

housetier:
"Opera not supported" :down:
-CGA (July 07, 2006, 04:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep, opera doesn't support me either...

housetier:
I have been asked on IRC if I liked this service, so I make it clear: Yes I like this service.

mouser:
great mini review and you captured the spirit of stumbledupon very well  :Thmbsup:

another thing thing to mention is that you should take time to rate sites and leave comments about sites, and that you can view other comments by other people, right?

another related service to check out is http://del.icio.us/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version