ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

better battery life out of a laptop

<< < (2/6) > >>

Ath:
Sound like the cpu and mainboard are the next biggest power consumers, after the screen and hdd, so changing only 1 factor is pobably not going to gain very much.

mouser:
How can such a modern laptop not support ssd drives?
Reading comments it seems like it does support ssd.

eleman:
How can such a modern laptop not support ssd drives?
Reading comments it seems like it does support ssd.
-mouser (July 10, 2016, 07:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

It has SATA 2.0, which has only very crude NCQ support, and no TRIM feature, meaning any SSD I put into the thing would not work fast, and also would wear out much more quickly than otherwise :(

Wasting limited write cycles to non-optimized writes...

IainB:
I have this huge laptop with a smallish battery and a not-so-mobile cpu. Therefore I get 2-3 hours of use on a single charge. So I'm trying to be creative with increasing battery life with it. ...
-eleman (July 10, 2016, 03:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

What is the laptop description and model please? Otherwise, you rather leave us in the dark.
As a long-term laptop user who has had to face up to similar challenges over the years, I might be able to offer some assistance/suggestions, but it always helps to know about the laptop one is dealing with first.

tomos:
^ that info is hidden away in another post:
this one
-eleman (July 10, 2016, 03:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

. . .
@eleman,
1) I know I *hate* to lose even 15 mins of work, so I would think about the amount of work-time that you could live with losing, and make sure your work gets saved somewhere within every x amount of minutes.

2) Is the battery easily removed? Consider getting a second one?

3) Look at the software on the machine, and what uses up the most CPU and/or RAM -- see can you stop/uninstall some of that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version