ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

Screenshot Captor has OCR?

(1/2) > >>

fungus:
Hi I just found Screenshot Captor and it is great, does way more than I need.

Question: Can Screenshot Captor capture a section of text as an image, and then turn it into editable text? Like ABBYY Screenshot Reader does?

I use the Abbyy but it doesn't work well with Windows 10-64, generates many errors.

Thanks,

fungus

tomos:
hi fungus,
no, Screenshot Captor / SC does not do OCR.

In case you do find something with good OCR, you can open files in an external editor from SC (see Tools menu).
(There are a couple of good threads on OCR here, PDFXchange is recommended a couple of places here on dc.)

fungus:
Thanks for the reply.
fungus

IainB:
@fungus:
I had previously asked @mouser to build in OCR to CHS, but I don't think it's likely to happen any time soon - if at all. It would be great if CHS detected and OCR'd any embedded text in images, and stored the text into the text tab of the relevant image clip.

As for ABBYY Screenshot Reader, I found that it it was really stable and fit-for-purpose and worked fine under Win7, 8, 8.1 and still works perfectly under Win10-64 PRO. The only trouble I have had with it is that the licence server service: C:\Program Files (x86)\ABBYY Screenshot Reader\NetworkLicenseServer.exe
- which it requires to run - does not always Auto-start like it should, and sometimes has to be manually started.

If it's not working well for you, then I would suggest that it may be that you merely need to uninstall and re-install ABBYY Screenshot Reader. (So, try it and see.)

I have two versions:
(a) one that was a FREE Christmas giveaway - ABBYY Bonus Screenshot Reader v9.0.0.1354 (2009-11-20).
(b) one that came with my EPSON V330 scanner - ABBYY Screenshot Reader v9.0.0.1331 (2009-11-27).

I am currently using the "newest" in (b), but as far as I was aware from testing, they would both work similarly (fine), though I haven't needed to install (a) on my current laptop.

There's been a fair amount of discussion about ABBYY Screenshot Reader on the DCForum, and it's all pretty positive and complimentary. I certainly haven't found anything to match it.
I don't need to use the ABBYY tool much now, as most of my clipping and capture of images that I want OCR'd is done into OneNote, using the OneNote Clipping tool. Though OneNote has excellent OCR features, it can't do table formatted clips the way ABBYY Screenshot Reader does - and which is pretty impressive - so I occasionally use the ABBYY tool for just that.

kunkel321:
http://capture2text.sourceforge.net/ is a pretty cool freeware tool.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version