ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Thanks again for the Windows 10 upgrade reminder - NOT

<< < (3/3)

rjbull:
I got tired of being sniped, so decided to equip myself to snipe back.  I wanted a desktop software rather than a web service, and looked through an auction software review site (that's now changed to a seller-only site, by the look of it) for a freeware one.  The first one I came to was Biet-O-Matic (Bid-O-Matic, BOM), a German program that can be switched to an English UI.  The Help file was in German only, last time I looked, but you won't need it, at least for basic operations (no doubt I'm missing finer points).  On the few occasions I've used it, it's worked well, and I recommend taking a look.  It has a Firefix plugin, too, that I haven't tried.

wraith808:
I used a desktop one before - auction sentry (http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/auction-sentry-deluxe).  They've since seemingly become auction sniper, and have a questionable (IMO) practice of charging you for each successful snipe, so I don't recommend them.

But my point is that the reason I moved from desktop software is that many things can (and did) happen, to make me lose my snipe.  Comcast going down, latency in the connection, ebay deciding to act weird.  And of course, my own machine going down for some reason.

rjbull:
my point is that the reason I moved from desktop software is that many things can (and did) happen, to make me lose my snipe.  Comcast going down, latency in the connection, ebay deciding to act weird.  And of course, my own machine going down for some reason.
-wraith808 (June 19, 2016, 09:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
Quite so, but those will presumably also be true for whatever web service you use, plus the concern over giving it your eBay credentials.  Gixen has been mentioned on DC before as a sound service, though.

wraith808:
my point is that the reason I moved from desktop software is that many things can (and did) happen, to make me lose my snipe.  Comcast going down, latency in the connection, ebay deciding to act weird.  And of course, my own machine going down for some reason.
-wraith808 (June 19, 2016, 09:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
Quite so, but those will presumably also be true for whatever web service you use, plus the concern over giving it your eBay credentials.  Gixen has been mentioned on DC before as a sound service, though.
-rjbull (June 20, 2016, 05:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Gixen, if you pay for it, provides a mirror.  No guarantees, but having a mirror in two different places, reduces that dependency.  And presumably, their service is on a bigger trunk than my home service.  And gixen doesn't store your password, it merely uses it for the snipe, and deletes them very closely after it.

eleman:
Hey 40hz, you may be interested in this piece of news. Apparently someone managed to get a ruling for damages against this idiotic policy of Microsoft.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version