ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firemin: reduce FF memory usage

(1/5) > >>

urlwolf:
Hi guys,

https://rizonesoft.com/download/firemin/

Have a look at Firemin. It claims to reduce FF memory usage. From reading here, I know all these memory optimizers don't really work, but in this case it definitely stops a small machine I have from swapping to an HDD, so it definitely saves the bacon.

Thoughts?

MilesAhead:
I took a quick look through the source code.  The main program is written in AutoIt3 and it does in fact periodically call EmptyWorkingSet() API.  If you have the same set of tabs open all the time you could accomplish the same thing restarting FF manually when no operations are pending.  It would just come up to the same set of open tabs.

I can see it if the FF browser is going to be open on a server for months and the guy with the server wants to totally automate accounting for the memory leaks.  Some of those guys don't reboot a server for months or even years.  Which I guess is why the fellow wrote it in the first place.

Myself I tend to close browsers when done with them.  The only time I have 8+ tabs open is once a day when I check the giveaway sites.  The rest of the time I rarely run more than 4 tabs.

Tuxman:
I have ~ 15 tabs open all day which I irregularly check, plus my daily "these 20 sites without a good RSS feed and/or without an easy way to make one (cough, cough) might have new, interesting contents" routine. Am I really a rare species?

MilesAhead:
I have ~ 15 tabs open all day which I irregularly check, plus my daily "these 20 sites without a good RSS feed and/or without an easy way to make one (cough, cough) might have new, interesting contents" routine. Am I really a rare species?
-Tuxman (June 29, 2016, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

The difference in my case may be that some people use the browser to actually do work.  For the most part I surf and do a few regular forums.  I do not keep up on the cutting edge to put it mildly.  :)

tomos:
Am I really a rare species?
-Tuxman (June 29, 2016, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not at all :-)
I probably have an average of 30 tabs open. My version of RSS is Session-Manager: when the saved session becomes too big, I start fresh with an empty window... (I do save the odd session with a name, or bookmark/save-to-PIM the odd page.)
Works fine mostly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version