ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firemin: reduce FF memory usage

<< < (2/5) > >>

Tuxman:
One of us got RSS wrong.  ;D

Curt:
http://www.whatisrss.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS

Stuttgart Performance & RSS:

my post #6996

tomos:
One of us got RSS wrong.  ;D
-Tuxman (June 29, 2016, 10:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

yup   

f0dder:
I took a quick look through the source code.  The main program is written in AutoIt3 and it does in fact periodically call EmptyWorkingSet() API. -MilesAhead (June 29, 2016, 09:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ah, so my initial hunch was correct: "just another piece of junk using EmptyWorkingSet()".

With quotes like "attempt to eliminate Firefox memory leaks and decrease the amount of memory Firefox uses.", "all the memory leaks was gone." and "The method Firemin uses to decrease Firefox memory usage is not proven and the debate over if it works or not will go on until the end of time, but the logic remains; if it works for you, use it and if it does not, don't use it. It is really that simple." makes me roll my eyes.

And "Firemin runs the clean memory API call a few times per second."? That's just insane.

Manually calling EmptyWorkingSet does nothing Windows won't do itself, it'll only do it prematurely. It doesn't fix anything, it only (potentially) swaps stuff out to your pagefile - before it's necessary to do so. Which means you'll get a disk hit, and another disk hit when that stuff needs to be paged back in.

MilesAhead:
And "Firemin runs the clean memory API call a few times per second."? That's just insane.
-f0dder (June 29, 2016, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

It does seem overly zealous to say the least.  I think I have one tray utility where after each function it sets a timer to call EmptyWorkingSet() once.  And that is because the utility accumulates no data and spends most of its time idling in the tray.  There is really no need but I was curious about the results.  From what I can see in Task Manager it uses less than a MB instead of something on the order of 2 MB and change if left to the OS to monitor the memory.

To keep the FF memory leaks under control it would likely be more efficacious to set a reminder to restart it every couple of days when it is not busy performing some operation.  I wonder if this thing is a put on?  Perhaps version 2.0 will call EmptyWorkingSet() every 50 ms?  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version