ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ERAM (Open Source RAM Disk) Development

<< < (2/5) > >>

f0dder:
You can't just take other people's work and stick an arbitrary license on it.

The domain from your link is blocked by uBlock, so... :)

Zero3K:
I have attached the benchmarks as a PDF.

wraith808:
I have attached the benchmarks as a PDF.
-Zero3K (June 26, 2016, 09:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

More than the benchmarks, the problem is the licensing.  As f0dder said:

You can't just take other people's work and stick an arbitrary license on it.
-f0dder (June 26, 2016, 02:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's not even whoever sources that page, as shown in the disclaimer: http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA000363/tech/eramv68.htm

Text below:
Views on ERAM modified version of 2ch

Last updated 2008.7.13
68 Mr. at 2ch (?) Set aside also serves as a survival prove views on ERAM for WindowsNT / 2000 / XP / 2003 source difference is published.
Seems to be there was one that is copyright Donokono of problems seen but, (as long as does not contain copyrighted material of others) you can safely source publication of all or a difference with respect to ERAM.
On for people should be readily available execution module, it can be safely be published the source bundled with or separately from binary difference. At your own risk If you are using the binary difference.
It seems people are stay that is published a binary module, but it is a little. I think, but it is not intended to force the deletion.
If possible (68 Mr. version to the body) might also be where I am allowed to ask the source coalesce, but there is no spare capacity (in 2008.7.13 time). Operation check environment of over4GB is no at hand.

--- End quote ---

Zero3K:
So then why offer the source code for modification?

wraith808:
So then why offer the source code for modification?
-Zero3K (June 26, 2016, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Setting a license is not the same as offering source code- especially something like GPLv3.  That particular license, for better or worse, is a virus.

You can't choose to set that on someone else's source. It says something specific about what you're trying to do, and you can't decide that for someone else.

It's not originally your code.  It's not originally your project.  You can contact the developer to clarify their position.  But not being able to find that developer, and/or not getting a response does not leave it open for you to decide that.  See Circle Dock for the example of what bad things can happen when you try to do so.  This is a big deal for a lot of people.  And when things are a big deal, making unilateral decisions for others isn't a good thing to do, no matter what you might think.  Their reactions might surprise you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version